1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New KY Bluegrass sod in Kansas

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by I-Hawk, Jun 5, 2004.

1. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

This may have been discussed earlier, but I'm new and couldn't find any threads about it, so.....

About a week ago, my developer placed Kentucky Bluegrass sod at my new home. The rolls seemed very dry during placement, and most of the yard is still a dead looking brown color. I have been watering it for about 4 hours each morning (5am-9am) and for an hour or two in the early evening (5pm-7pm). There are spots that are starting to come alive, but the majority is still brown. If I rake it up a little underneath, however, the grass is green. So, am I just getting in a hurry, or is there something different I can do?

Thanks in advance.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

fertilizer helps and it mite be thatch you mite want to get it dethatched next fall and also i would cut back on the water a little bit
  3. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

We got about 1/8" of rain last night, so today I'm only going to water for about 30min this evening.

Tell me more about dethatching. I checked the grass this morning, and there is about 1/4" of thatch. Will mulch-mowing this summer make the problem worse?
  4. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

sometimes with sod it's best NOT to mow it weekly, just let it grow. Here's a link for sod install products: www.rootsinc.com
  5. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

Well guys, it has now been two weeks and it looks pretty good. I'll snap another pic and post it later.

There are, however, some spots that are dead or were just dirt and no grass on the sod (crappy development sod contrator). I know that it is out of my control for now, but what can I do this fall to get the bare spots to fill in? I have heard about overseeding with fescue, but not sure if there's some better options or not.

BTW, the bare/dead spots are typically less than a sqare foot, so it's not that big of an eyesore from the street.
  6. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

Here's the latest pic.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

If you like the bluegrass, I'd just cut out the dead spots and put fresh sod in it's place. The 1st problem I see with your lawn is the fact that it was dried out and brown at time of install. You might want to talk to the contractor about fixing the dead spots. Just a thought.

8. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

Ok. My lawn has came around nicely this summer, however it is starting to be taken over by a combination of crabgrass and goosegrass. Mostly it is in the areas that had poor sod from the beginning, and also along the seams of the sod.

I am planning to start preparing my lawn for winter, and am needing some advice in the following areas:

1) What to do about the weeds mentioned above.

2) Aerating. Is it worth doing this fall, or wait 'til next spring? I had thought about aerating prior to an overseed.

3) Overseeding. Should I use more KBG, or add another kind of grass (fescue?) instead? Also, should it be seeded on a wet or dry lawn?

4) Final mowing. Should it still be high like I normally do, or should it be cut short for the last cut of the year?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.