1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Law & DOT Numbers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Apr 29, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

OK, today I am driving down the road in a regular one ton pickup (GMC 3500 single rear wheels) pulling my JD4720 tractor on a 20 flatbed. I get pulled over by the State Police and get a warning ticket for not having my "DOT Registration Numbers" on the side of the truck. I was told that the US Dept. of Trans via Homeland Security now mandate any commercial vehicle with a combination weight over 10,000lbs must have their DOT number on the side of the truck. Now granted it cost nothing for the number and can be done online. My question is; has anyone else run into this situation?

I went ahead and had the number added today below the new logo. What a PIA.
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in MN, as of last year, I haven't been stopped yet this year, we did not need USDOT numbers unless we traveled across state lines.

We COULD be pulled over and inspected at any time, and are supposed to have a name and city on ANY commercial vehicle.

Haven't heard about the DOT number....... yet.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this federal or state? What is the web site. I havent been messesed with yet, but I may be lucky so far.
  4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

My DOT number was issued by the US Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov I believe is the website. That is what is on my fax from them with the number.
  5. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Here in Mn you Do Need a DOT number. You just don't have to have it displayed on 1 ton trucks.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The DOT numbers are only required by the Feds if you cross state lines. Some states require them as a matter of that particular state's laws and regulations. Not all states require them.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

As bad as it pains me to agree with Martin, he is very correct. Sounds like the SC Trooper actually was talking about a separate SC State Law using the DOT Number. An example is that in NC you must have "Weighted" Tags if you are pulling trailer that is anything other than an RV type (boat, Jet Skis, etc)
  8. LwnmwrMan22

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol/c...hicles require a Minnesota Annual Inspection?

About 12 lines down....

"When is a DOT number required on a motor vehicle"

"A USDOT Number is required for all commercial motor vehicles operating as private carriers traveling INTERSTATE with a gross weight of over 10,000 lbs."

Not INTRASTATE, like most LCO's, even then, you can travel 20 - 30 miles into a different state without a DOT number. At least here in MN.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Think it goes into effect here this june. They want a way to keep track of all commercial traffic.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

I carry a copy of this website in both of my trucks, in case I get pulled over for an inspection.

About 1/2 the time I'm told I need an inspection sticker, 1/2 the time I'm told I don't.

If you look at the first line, "Which motor vehicle needs an inspection sticker", it says a combination over 26k. I run 3/4 pickups, and my dump trailer is my heaviest trailer, licensed at 15k, therefore, no more than 25k, no sticker needed, according to the website.

I've pulled this paper out and showed to the inspectors before, including the part about mudflaps AND DOT numbers.

If it's on their own website, and I'm following the law, it's usually the inspectors / troopers that don't know their own law.