New law to require name & number

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sunray, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

I see these guys all over pulling lawn trailers with all maner of vehicles, no identifing name or phone numbers.
    My question is, should you be required to identify who you are on your trailer to be in business.
    I'm a little tired of the phone not ringing, I get out beat the bushes for new buissness,lettered truck and trailer.
    We advertise in two different phone books,the Iwanta magazine,newspaper as well as sending out flyers to target areas.
    I know it's slow this time of year but this is crazy.
    Back to the number thing, I feel these guys are just screwing everybody who tries to be honest so there goes the bussiness.
    We have all the licenses,insurance,bonding,workman comp,proper sized trailers for the loads they haul and everything is secured properly but it seems like it's all a waste of time and money!
    I know these guys are running around illegally and their should be some clear cut way to see they are not legal, no name and number you get pulled over and fined big time.
    Am I just a little touchy on this because of the time of year and the phone thing?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think you're over-reacting. I don't have the signs on my truck because I am swamped from referrals so why spend the money on more advertising when I am busy as it is? I am 99% legit w/ the 1% being no DOT number.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am not technically the best driver around, and I dont really want to advertize to everyone who I am when I cut them off...:hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh:

All kidding aside, it seem like around here a lot of the LCOs dont have all that fancy of lettering on their trucks at all. I will probablly get magnet signts next season, and also a big window decal in back on both trucks probablly.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well i agree, but disagree. i have no lettering or signs on my truck but I'm legit. i pay taxes, ins. and all that fun stuff that comes with being an LCO. now i hate the people we see everyday working with overloaded trucks and trailers. that look like they are gonna lose a mower if they hit a bump.I don't know about numbers or names. but a License # issued by the town or state, when you're registered and legit you get it. there's only 2 bad things about that. #1 the state or town would try to squeeze every penny they could out of it. #2 the cops aren't going to go around looking for whose got a # and who doesn't. I dont know about other states, but I know around here most Contractors have a Lic. # posted on their truck. and I'm sure they are saying the same thing about the other Fly-by-night contractors out there screwing people. ill have to take a picture tomorrow of a front door and stairs some guy just put in. he mows their grass too, we watched him cut the grass a little bit, put a couple nails in the stairs and he went back and forth.

5. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

Ok I guess I am just a little touchy right now,you all bring up good points .
    I guess I just needed to vent for a minute now I need to just take a deep breath, thanks guys.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I took my signs off the truck because I changed the biz phone number, and basically never got around to getting new signage. I have an excuse for everything :laugh:

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just because the truck and trailer are not lettered does not mean that the business is illegal. I am in the same boat as the guy above, I am too busy to keep up with my current business much less any other unwanted calls that might arise from having my truck/trailers lettered.

I think my stuff looks just as professional as any other outfit who is lettered to the nines...I get lots of compliments as it is.

I do get approached all the time buy graphics guys who want to to a wrap, vinyl or whatever.

8. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

no i dont think they should make people, but i think they should make everyone that cuts grass take some sort of training/test and have insurance, ie pesticide applicators, plumbers, electricians, builders or most other contracting professions.....this would keep the prices high, keep people out of the business, and you would not have to put up with those others bs....will this ever happen......probably not.....would i like this to happen.....of coarse....but what r u going to do?

9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Required? The powers that be - require enough from us already.

Imagine everyone getting about their own business - instead of worrying if Joe Schmoe with his broke-down truck sans lettering is legit.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

the real threat to all of us is Illegals starting thier own business as they learn english and get their own business contacts. They will NOT be hiring you or your kids in the future. Short term greed by current owners will give away the future of this business by American and legal immigrant owners. I understand your complaint about the hodge podge of start up lawn guys but do you realy advocate more government control of YOUR trade? Do you want to pay a fee to fund a gov. agency to regulate or just let the free market take care of the lawn business. Easy entry is what got me started and also keeps me competetive . Learn to carve out customers who don't just shop cheap prices.