New Lawn – First Cutting?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by T.Wells, May 9, 2005.

1. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hello, I am currently in the process of growing my new lawn here in southeastern PA . I have about an acre of grass coming in and wanted to ask a question about the first cut. I know to let the lawn grow fairly high before giving it the first cut and to not cut more than 1/3 of the total length of the blades of grass. I also know to cut the lawn at 3-5 inches as well. The seed that was dropped was a 50/50 contractors mixture of tall fescue and annual ryegrass. I went ahead and dropped some additional seed which was a Pennington grass seed mixture containing tall fescue (94%) and Kentucky bluegrass (6%).

My question is that I am wondering if I should rent or borrow a 21” mower to give the grass its first cut or can I use my homeowners ZTR (Husqvarna CZ4217). I thought that the ZTR mower might damage the grass too much while riding over the new blades. Can anyone provide some thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
    T.Wells

PS I am most likely a few weeks away from actually mowing.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If not too big, I would cut with a 21". a ZTR will be tough until the ground firms up some assuming that you tilled it before seeding. If the ground is firm, I dont think you will have many problems as long as you can make 180 degree turns without totally stopping on wheel.

3. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the reply Marko.

I actually did not till the ground but some soil (backfill) was dropped off and moved around with a bulldozer first and then sifted with a bobcat.

I know what you are talking about with the ZTR doing a 180 without stopping the wheel but I have only driven up and down the driveway so far and therefore I am new to controlling a ZTR mower.

My ZTR is relatively small as it is a 17hp with 42" cut so that may help some, huh?

Thanks again,
    T.Wells

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Big enough to do some damage. I would rent a larger walk behind (or hire someone with one), side discharge and leave the clippings unless they would smother the grass.