New Lawn Acquired from DC user

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpringValley, Sep 24, 2001.

1. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I just acquired a new lawn from a homeowner that fired their previous LCO. The problem was the fact that they took their high speed DC's and just blew the grass over. This combined with the striping kit makes the yard look awful. They put up with this for an entire season before they called me. I use a JD F620 front deck. Nobody likes JD and prefers to slam on them in this forum. My mower works for me. I do not have to lay on my back to change my blades, it cuts great and will handle pretty steep slopes.

This is the second customer that I have acquired from DC users. I do not know what their problem is but you can go too fast when mowing a yard. The "fastest mower in the world" is not a good mower if it is not used properly. When I told my buddy (whom I have gotten several leads from as he does not wish to get any larger) about my newest acquisition, his first response was "Were they using a Dixie Chopper?" Why is that?

I will never own a Dixie. I will continue to acquire yards from LCO's that abuse the speed of the DC. Using different equipment will help me accomplish this and expand my business. IMO the DC looks cheap for what it costs. My dealer sells JD, DC, and Hustler. I looked at a new 72" Super Z next to a DC and what a sweet looking, solid, quality machine the Hustler looked liked compared to the DC. Sorry for the long post but I have seen to many shoddy looking yards mowed with a Dixie. I am not the biggest in this market but I pride myself in my work.

Matt:blob3:

2. Husqman

Husqman LawnSite Member

Prepare for the wrath of the DC cult.

:D

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe the operator is at fault?????

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I guess I better dig my John Deere out so I don't lose any of my customers I've had for 15 years. ;)

It all depends on the operator if turf gets tore up, I don't care what you are using. You can screw up thin turf with a 21" while turning if your not careful.

If I was mowing in your area, I bet you wouldn't get any of my lawns because I was tearing up the turf or had bad cut quality.

You can not blame a mower for this, it has to be the operator. Some just do not care as much about a persons lawn as you or me. Some do not sharpen blades every day like they should. I know of lawn companies around here that only sharpen their blades when the mower goes in for repair. I know it's hard to believe, but the mechanic himself told me this and his lawns show it. I felt the blade and it was as round as a round pencil.

To sum this up, you can't slam a product for operator malfunction. There are different tire options you can get at the purchase time for ones that do not know how to turn with lug tires. As far as turning, I've probably got several hundred thousand turns under my belt, so I think I have it down now. :)

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that if you think about it that anymore pushing 7-8+ mph is cutting too fast - IMHO.

I also feel that if you are traveling faster than a brisk walking pace that you are cutting too fast. I have times my machines so that I basically cut at the same pace as 4th gear on a belt drive wb.

Most riding units including yours are for acreage cutting IMO. I think that with this new found production advantage that it is used and abused by many. this is why I have targeted my local market to gain clientele from LCOs like yourself who use the wrong equipment for the wrong applications.

If you have the size to justify these machines such as EricELM at 1.5+ acre properties, than it makes sense to own such a unit. If you are cutting 8-15m/sf sized lots such as we have here, its overkill even with the 4' decks they offer.

Personally I dont see how you think that your "front mount" is any better than a "mid mount" Z.

We all know what they say about opinions as well! :rolleyes:

Just my nickle.
    Kris

6. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Nice impression Matt.
    Apparently the book is being judged by the cover. Good for you but bad for the book. I would think that the mower is not responsible for the cut as it CANNOT run or be maintained without a PERSON.
    For you to say that you would never buy a DC based on appearance is unfair, looks do not cut grass, good mowers AND operators do. I do not own a DC. I own an eXmark and I would never say that your lawn looks like crap because you mow with something beside an eXmark. Rude and condescending. Very general and extremely unfair. I am glad that this all turned out good for you but, unfortunately there are people out there like you and fortunately there are people like me that don't trash others and still have a good reputation and a good business without the trash. I am hoping you misspoke.

As for the wrath of the DC cult, I have my hard hat on thanks to Husqman.

Just one man's opinion and point of view.

Rick

7. Eric ELM

Below is a picture of a lawn we mow and you can see close up where we turn. Turns can be made without tearing up turf if you know what you are doing. Sorry to prove you wrong, but I hate to see any product get slammed when it's the operator's fault.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a lawn across from one of ours that is cut by one of our competitors. Is the looks of this lawn the machines fault? I don't think so.

[​IMG]

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Why do people post things like this. It could be any number of factors, maybe they never sharpen their baldes, ever think of that?:rolleyes:

dull blades 3.jpg

9. Eric ELM

Ray, those blades look like they have a few years of use left in them. :D

10. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I was apparently unclear. I was trying to blame the operator for abusing the speed of the DC. BUT, in my own defense, as I have stated before in posts, the dealer makes the difference in purchasing equipment. All makes have their own idiosyncracies that each individual likes/dislikes. I choose not to own a DC. No I have not demoed one nor ever used one. I prefer the front deck, easy to trim with, easy to clean the deck and change the blades. Eric seems the least likely to attach other brands and is quick to defend his brand of choice. I have no problem with that. I was not attacking DC but I have sat on them, looked them over, and I honestly cannot ever see myself owning one. By having something different than a DC (which happens to be a Deere) is going to help me get new customers from poor quality LCO's. That was the general gist of my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

PS I really think there is a DC cult out there. LOL:blush: