1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new lawn boy on my street

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, Aug 5, 2005.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

well guys, ive been self employed for 5 years, in a town full of low bidders, and today what do i find out? the young kid two houses up from me just bought a old used chevy and a new scag walkbehind, look out!!! he's a big landscaper now!!!! i know that we cant stop all these guys low bidding jobs, and i understand that everyone needs to make money, but it really hurts when a guy like that gets more work,pays no taxes, is not insured, and the honest guy that has 90k investred in mowers plows ,truck ,trailer,, ect.. pays through the nose (taxes, and everything else) struggles to stay ahead of the game!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO IF THIS KID STARTS TAKING JOBS FROM ME? I TAKE CARE OF SEVEREL HOUSES ON MY STREET....
    sorry if i sound like a cry baby, but my company is to be honest with you all , is really all i have, ive worked so hard to get where i am, and then i see all these guys out there, that just do it under the table and make people like you and I, lose it all!!!! thanks for listening (or reading)
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

just tell him if he invades your turf, he'll be swimmin wit da fishies. :cool2:
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

How do you know he is doing it under the table? How do you know he doesnt have insurance? How do you know already that he is going to lowball accounts? How do you know what his overhead is so you can honestly make an assessment as to if he is lowballing of not? The truth is, you are a cry baby like you said and you don't like any competition getting in your way making your life anything other than smooth sailing. We all work hard. Anyone who says lawn care maintenance in the middle of summer is easy, is ********. Just give the kid a chance. If you happen to talk to him, try to give him a few pointers on bidding and so on. I would rather have educated competition out there than people going around ruining business and giving us all a bad name. My point is that maybe you should give the kid a chance before you go ragging on him. If it weren't for a few guys around town giving me some hints to start me off in the right direction, I would still have no clue as to what I am doing today.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You beat me to it.
  5. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

WOODY, IN A WAY YOUR RIGHT ,maybe im marsh, but i know these people, thats how they are, if the kid comes to me, yes i would help him out, because thats how i am!!!! but maybe in your neck of the woods things are diff... around here its really, really hard. lets put it this way , in the past year, if you read our local paper, you would know what i was getting at, two years ago there was maybe one page of landscaping ads ,this past week there was four pages, so for me,and alot of others around these parts, it is hard to land jobs, this past year, ive lost jobs because the other guy was $2 cheaper, but he didnt have a plow truck and he doesnt do fall cleanups, so you tell me!!!!!! could you hack it around here?
  6. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

I don't know how big your town is, but I imagine there are more than enough prospects to keep your business going. In other words, I doubt that your town is so saturated with LCOs that this guy is going to make the difference as to whether you can stay in business or not. What if he lived in some other part of town and did the same thing? You likely wouldn't even know he's doing this.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat it. Just play your own game the best you can and keep blinders on as to what the next guy is doing; otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy. If you do a good job and your prices are reasonable, nobody is going to put you out of business.
  7. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

your right! im all worried for nothing

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Try An Talk To Him On A Friendly Basis About Things. Dont Go Haywire And Start Preaching Otherwise He Might Target Lowball Your Accounts . But In All Honesty Go Over And Chat To See What Hes All About.....a Little Inside Info Goes A Long Way. If He Starts Eating Into Your Otherwise Loyal Accounts Then You Havnt Built A Good Relationship With Your Customers And Theres Not Much Else You Can Do To Protect Yourself Other Than A Call To The Sales Tax/ State Treasury People.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

And the world keeps turning. This happens in every business, there is always an upstart who doesn't play by the rules and the worse part is there is no one to catch them and make them play by the rules. It's hard to blame these guys for not paying for insurance etc when they can get away with it for so long. And if they do get break a window they just drop the customer and get more. Most customers don't care if you have insurance or not as long as you are cheap. I used to tell people we are insured now I don't even waste my breath, it doesn't land the job anyway. Yesterday I got an email at work ( I sell houses) and the customer said "all I care about is price nothing else matters". What a dumb azz, I started to type my spiel about quality, value for your money etc. I decided she wasn't worth the hassle and just typed a response back saying I would like to see the specs on that house for the price youi stated. I hope she gets what she deserves, someone ripping her off.
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see, if he is a Lawn BOY, then how is he supposed to get insured? Also, if he is a lawn BOY, how is he supposed to start a legit business? Unless he starts followin you around from accnt to accnt and lowballin them all, then dont worry about it.