New Lawn Boy w/Honda starts really hard...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by I26, Nov 24, 2005.

1. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

I bought a new Lawn Boy w/ a Honda engine and electric start. I have the worst time getting it to start here of late. I always have to drain the gas out out of the bowl and then pull it numerous times to get it to fire. Electric start only turns it over after it runs for awhile. It worked fine since i got it early on in the summer. I did use some gas from the can for my snow blower from last year and then my mower sat for about 2 months until the grass greened up and thus I now have issues. I drained all the old gas and put in some new stuff with fuel stabilizer. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thinking of taking it in to the shop for them to have a look.

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Does it start easy after the motor has warmed up? If it does, then your choke is not closing all the way. I have a honda push mower that would not start at all last year and I started tearing it down to check it out and found out that it was not getting any fire. Replaced the coil and it has ran great ever since. Cost about $25 for a new coil.

3. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

Well i was wondering what was up with the choke. I think when I open the choke to start it shouldn't the flipper in the carberator do something. No matter what is always seems to be wide open. I don't even see anything attached to it. There is a black molded piece of plastic that when i push it it makes the carb go shut and that piece has a hole in it like there would be a spring to attach but i don't see no spring. Once i get it going it will start 1st or second pull and sometimes even with the key. 2 months ago it would fire first time, everytime.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest taking it to a shop and let them look and see what parts of the choke linkage is missing there is something up there, All Honda's are hard to start with no choke.

5. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

I am not all to keen on engine stuff so this may be a dumb question but oh well. Should that plate inside the carberator be open or closed when starting it?

6. Restrorob

It should be closed when the throttle control is put on choke and open when taken off choke. It could be as simple as a throttle cable adjustment.

7. I26

I26 LawnSite Member

So when i turn the choke on to start the mower the plate should close....
    I think there is a part missing then, odd though.

8. Restrorob

Yes It is, Thats why I suggested to take it to a shop and let them look and see what part(s) are missing. If you don't know you can't tell them they have to see for themselves.