1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New lawn business...need some mower advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CosmicCharley, Apr 26, 2008.

1. CosmicCharley

CosmicCharley LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Hey there....

My brother & I are gonna start our own lawn business. First as a part-time, & then we'll see what happens from there. We both work full time, so we aren't gonna quit our jobs until we see if this thing pans out.

I already have a truck & a trailer, & I have around 25 new accounts lined up. All of them are residential, so I am looking at a used 36'' Snapper WB that is Hydro for 1800.00 that is around 4 yrs. old, or would I be better of getting a newer belt driven Scag or some other brand for a little more cash??

The Snapper has a Kaw. 15HP engine & dual hydro....the deck is supper clean with no dents or scrapes, & it comes with a 30 day warranty. It started 1st pull & ran great.

What are the main advantages/disadvantages between belt-driven & Hydro.

Also, to those of you that use belt-driven, do they require a lot of maintenance?

Thanks for your replies....
  2. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

I'd go used especially since your just starting out. In fact I'm starting to think buying new lawn equipment is like buying a new car... A waste of money. Just my opinion though.