New Lawn by DIY Homeowner

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jvncnt, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jvncnt

jvncnt LawnSite Member

Don't know if you folks in this forum are willing to help out a DIY'er or not, but here is my dilemma. Sorry in advance for the length!

My wife and I recently moved into a new home that was built on 4 acres of old soybean field. About one month ago, we had the entire property bush hogged, due to the weeds being taller than us. Since that time, we have gone over the land again and chopped up most of what had been cut and it is now pretty finely chopped vegetation.

We are now going to try to put in our own "yard" (as opposed to a "lawn"), and have only a VERY small clue as to what we are doing. We tried to find someone who would disc the land so that we could drag it, but no luck. So... we have now decided to rent a Harley Rake and Brillion seeder this weekend. Last weekend we sprayed the entire property with Round-up which has/will hopefully kill everything that is on the land now.

Finally, the questions:

We have never used a Harley Rake before, but are getting it for the four day weekend for the price of one day. Do we have to remove all of the chopped up vegetation before Harley raking or will it all get mixed in/pulverized? Also, we have numerous ruts from the tires of construction vehicles, will the rake take care of this, or are we asking too much from this attachment?

Have already tested the soil and are buying the seed and fertilizer tomorrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if it's a true harley rake (is it on a skid steer or on a tractor?) you will be able to wind row all the debris then you can pick it up with the bucket. yes you will be able to grade with the rake those ruts shouldn't be a problem. it will be easiest if the rake is on a tracked skid steer.

3. jvncnt

jvncnt LawnSite Member

It is on a skid steer, but not sure if it is tracked or not. I am glad to hear that we won't have to try to get up all of the dead vegetation though. Thanks for the help.