1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New lawn, Can't seed..what to do

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jbbarnett, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jbbarnett

jbbarnett LawnSite Member

I just acquired some property that borders my home. The land needed mass excavation, etc… which is now completed. I am planning on testing the soil, etc… and treating so that it is healthy and ready for the fall seeding. What can I do in the meantime to keep weeds, etc… from over taking the freshly excavated land?
    I have fescue in my lawn, and would like to have fescue on this property as well, but I know that I need to wait a couple months before seeding fescue. What should I do to care for this land so that it doesn't erode, etc… but will be ready and weed-free when time to seed fescue?
    Thanks

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I would treat with round up on a as needed basis until your ready. You can also cover with straw or hay to keep the erosion to a minimum
    easy-lift guy

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Annual Rygrass can germinate in 5 days and will make excellent cover for your Fescue when you're ready to go...

4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located, around zone 7 it is way to hot to plant much sees right now. Let crabgrass come up if there is any. I understand your concern with erosion
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Why, because it will mostly die? So what? He just needs a cover crop.
    Preferably one that will die over winter.
    Annual rye is a great suggestion.
    Or roll out burlap to prevent erosion.

Profile says North Alabama. That would make it zone 7 or 8. Same as me.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Annual rye thrives in the cool weather. It will germinate and die in a week. Why waste the $. Annual rye is usually used to keep turf green in the winter
    Posted via Mobile Device