New Lawn care Business in Minnesota Am I legal ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pro - Cut, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Pro - Cut

Pro - Cut LawnSite Member

Looking for info on lisceing in Minnesota does anyone know if you need a liscen in Minnesota to mow grass? have been looking on line. have a LLC and Ins on trailer and all equipment. is a LLC all I need. Also would like to meet some prof in the Minnesota area if they are willing. looking for advise on starting new.

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

3. Pro - Cut

Lonsdale, Hastings, Lakeville, St Paul

4. Scandia Lawn Care

Scandia Lawn Care LawnSite Member

looks good, you will need an EIN if you have employees, even if you don't you should get one anyways and you have to get a MN tax ID # or you can use your SSN as well to pay your sales tax. If you apply fert. then you need a liscense for that as well as a liscense for any weed control you do. I'm located in the SW metro.

5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Pro - Cut,
    Do you have General Liability Insurance? I see your covered as far as the equipment goes but GL insurance will protect you in the event a rock goes through a window or whatever. As for mowing grass, no license is required. Good luck!

Buck

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

let me know when you dicide not to cut lawn. i'll buy your stuff.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Huh?? :confused:

Buck

8. Pro - Cut

Thanks for all your info from all of you. I have the full meal deal on ins covers for 1 year at a time and I can also put a plow on and plow in the winter if I want. $1,000,000 coverage per occurrence up to $3,000,000 a year.

9. Pro - Cut

Got state ID# and Tax ID# have a EIN# but just me and my brother. Missed out on alot of poss work due to started to late in the year. have 12 accounts all over Burnsville, Savage, Hastings, St Paul. nothing like running all around and I am sure I am under paid. HA HA. Thanks for the info. Just a note you have to have a permit to hand out flyers or door hangers in Hastings. Got the Nasty phone call from some home owner that just couldnt just thro away the door hanger. but did check into it and found out that you do need a permit. $10.00 a year.

10. Pro - Cut

Why would I want to sell?? what would I do if we ever got a nice day here in MN. It is a great opp to get a nice tan and get in shape. Just kiding. I put alot into this bussiness this year 60 toro Ztr 48 scag echo line trimmer stilh blowers and padlles and line trimmer 24 foot enclosed trailer and after all that I had to go buy a new durrmax truck to pull it all. I could say I paid cash for it all like that guy from the ussr. but got 0 percent intrest on the toro and traded in my old trailer and did pay cash for other things. got some good used stuff and got a good deal. too much invested to give up now. After starting this year I noticed that is seems like every were I look I see a different lawn care bussiness cutting or driving down the road. I will keep you in mind at the end of the year when I need to make my first payment on my ztr.