1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Lawn, Fall Program - Weeds and Overseed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by T.Wells, Aug 21, 2005.

1. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a a new lawn this year and it has become very weedy over the past month. I have a lot of broad-leaf weeds (including some clover) and a lot of crabgrass. I would like some advice on how to handle the situation for the upcoming fall. I am planning to have an irrigation system installed in the next month and would like to reseed/over-seed so that my lawn is thicker and greener next year. I am planning to add more Kentucky Blue to my lawn it currently is annual rye, tall fesque and a little blue.

When and what product should I apply to kill the existing weeds. My thought is that I should try to kill them within the next few weeks so that when I seed in late September my new seedlings have a chance to grow. I don't own a tow behind sprayer and was looking to use my spreader if possible to make the process quicker.

Any help is appreciated.

2. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

would recommend spot spraying with a tank sprayer for the weeds. if you have a patch of little or no grass or all weeds, complete kill it with non-selective herbicide (roundup) and renovate that portion completely. if you apply herbicide to the entire yard, go easy if your lawn is not well established. can look up your local ag extension on the internet for recommendations in your area as a great resource for tips and advice.