New lawn - harley rake question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mse003, Jul 10, 2011.

1. mse003

mse003 LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm starting a new lawn from scratch. The yard is about 3/4 acre and was sloped from one side to the other. There was a 2-3 foot high ridge that went across half of the back yard. I cut that ridge down with a Bobcat and moved that dirt to the lower side of the back to get rid of most of the slope.

It's fairly level now, but there are still some low and high spots, even a couple short but wide mounds. None of these low/high spots vary in height by more than 6 - 8 inches. Will running a harley rake across all of it a few times disperse the dirt to cut down the high and fill in the low spots to level it out?

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide!
  2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that is not enough to fill those spots. Can you use some of what you cut to fill the low spots ?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Just be sure you have not disturbed drainage patterns. If water can come to your lot from above sure to direct the flow where it will do no harm. Slope water away from house, make sure no ponds can form. A level or string level may help. A professional would use a laser leveling system, of course.
  4. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

I would get someone experienced using a tractor and box blade for the final grade.