New Lawn HELP

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by agm, Jul 22, 2007.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

can anyone tell me what is going on with my lawn? It is Kentucky Bluegrass and was layed down about a month ago. It was nice and green for about the first 3 weeks and know this. PLEASE HELP! It went from nice and green to a greyish blue color to yellow to what looks to me like it is dead. I have installed many a lawn but have never had this happen!

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

2. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Also temperature has been in the mid to upper 90's here.

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

look for signs of grubs in soil

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It is drying out. The bluish color is the tell tale sign. The sod has not rooted enough to go so long between waterings. You need to water more often. Several times a day for short periods until those roots are set deep.

How well does KBG, a cool season grass, do in NM?

5. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I have been watering twice a day for about 2 1/2 weeks, then I cut it down to once a day in the morning for 25 minutes. This just started this past Thursday. So I increased my watering to twice a day again and that is when it went to the brownish color thay you see in the pictures. Kentucky Bluegrass does very well here in New Mexico. I have never had any problems with it when installing it for a customer, but now that I installed it in my yard........well I don't know what happened.

6. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Anyone else have any opinions?

7. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

Anyone else?

8. Dotens

Dotens Banned

Do you have pets?? Could be from them urinating?? But that seems unlikely. Grubs a possibility. We have a problem with red thread here in the north east sometimes in the summer. look for chinch bugs. again here they can be a problem. Don't know though where u are. Sorry not much help.

9. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

We have a dog but she is indoors. Also I am in New Mexico (Albuquerque)

10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

this is sod not seed, therefore you need to water that sod so that it almost floats away. Don't worry about developing a root system, that will come in time, for now you need to help this survive. I would be handwatering this in the morning till it was soaked , watching it during the day and pounding it at night. This is how we treated new sod on the gc and it always took.