New lawn instal. pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Q-Team Inc, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

I went to look at a job to put in a lawn. I think I need a little help with the bid. The existing loam was ripped of for the house construction and piled up. Area is 15,500 +/- sq.ft.. The area is now hard packed clay. I was thinking of putting in 5" of loam then hydro seeding.

Do you think 5" is the right depth?
    I have a bobcat w/bucket at my disposal. Would this work well or should I get something else to use? The ground now is pretty level. Pretty straight forward.

I can get the loam for around $4K with delivery and hydro seed should run me around $800.00.

Knowing the materials cost, how bout telling me what you guys would charge for a job like this.

Thanks

2. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Does the property need all that dirt for grade or just the quality of the lawn? That is a butload of dirt to cover that sq. footage that thick! Even though i think this is a b.s. bid, i'll answer.$8,375 to move the dirt. ( i charge $25/yd. to move dirt) if its screened. Plus an additional $0.10/sq. ft. to prep the soil for your seedbed.
    total--$14,725.00 plus tax.

3. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

That much is needed for quaility of lawn. You could throw down 2" on top of clay and start a lawn, but do you really want to do it? No. What do you mean bs bid? Do you mean that the customer isn't going to do it? Probably not after he see's my bid. Im sure he could find someone to do it for less and have a crap lawn.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

12,000 should cover it

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

If customer wants an el cheapo price customer wont be looking at your bid of $8000 or whatever. Most guys I am sure could do this for 2 grand with no soil needed.