New Lawn Install 3006 sq ft

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Husky03, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have done some patching and overseeding, but I have not started a lawn from scratch yet. Bare soil right now, the top soil was brought in and a very rough grade was formed from another landscape company. I will still need to till area, form minor grade, and smooth it all out before seeding and then apply some starter fertilizer. What would you charge in labor to do this to 3006 sq ft? Also, after applying the seeds do you roll the the lawn or just lightly rake it to get the seed to stick to the soil? Thanks for any advice or tips.:)

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your profile says you have been in business for 4 years, doing what?
    Mike

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i'll take a stab at it with example that you may be able to base off of:

2 guys.........$15 hr x 10hr day to be safe = $300

gas......short drive $25, decent drive $50 (i've got a chevy 2500hd, 8-9mpg)

dump/disposal of trash.......$100

seed $50

so lets say $500 so far in cost

a good $900 but again, i haven't seen the place.........lots of rocks/trash etc

as far as raking and rolling i just put the seed on top unless the soil is compacted........if i'm applying 1/4" compost to a yard and aerating etc i put seed, then compost then seed..........is there a way to keep this wet? if not i'd wait til mid September before doing it, let things cool off

4. Husky03

Hmmm lets see:confused: Ohh that's right cutting grass! Why do you have to be like that? Why don't you enlighten me with your 10 years of experience and tell me how you price these jobs. I'm sure you know right;)

5. Husky03

Thanks tthomas. There is little to no trash or rocks. It is all flat ground. The previous guys dumped the soil but did a bad job of spreading it out. I need to slope it away from the house and smooth it all out. The soil has had time to sit so it looks like I need to go over the entire area with a tiller to get the seed to start growing, otherwise it will just sit on top of the compacted soil. All I have is a small Mantis tiller so I may have to rent a bigger one unless you have another idea. As for keeping it wet, I explained to the people the best time to do this is early fall, but they want it done now so I explained to them to keep it very moist.

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you figure it out yourself like the rest of us did???:nono:

All you have to do figure out your cost and how much you want to charge for labor.:hammerhead:

7. Husky03

all ferris, I did not get on here and ask how much do I charge for this job. I asked what do you guys charge for labor. I know my costs, but it is kind of nice to know that I am in the ballpark when it comes to charging for these jobs since this is the first time I have done it. More and more a$$holes everytime I get on this forum. Any helpful advice or just more hateful comments?

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Because some of the people on here weren't lucky enough to have a website to go to for help but only other people in the field that didn't really want to tell what and how they charge for fear of you undercutting them. On the other hand this guy is lucky to have a website to use as a guide which seems to be what he's doing. So he has a legit question............as compare to other people on here who abuse the site as a "sold it, how do I do it........or write me a contract to give my customer, thanks" :nono:

Husky03.........thought about sod? And don't till too deep or you will have uneven settling in the yard. Also, if you go with seeding sell them on coming back in the fall to overseed which it will 99.9% need.

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are refering to me being an ass, so be it. I was serious at what you do in business. If your in the lawn business thats fine, it kind of gives me an idea that you know a little something about grass and what it takes. Do you have eqpt, bobcat, rakes, shovel, etc.? 3000 is pretty small yard but we still would prob. use bobcat some i have a price for it at 65.00 hour. You know your area going rates 1-2 guys doing hand work 3-4 hours. As far as mareials i hydro=seed most things and deal in volume of materials and hard to break it down that small. But for kicks you could get by charging $ 200.00 for material and make off of that. I dont roll maybe other guys do but i wont argue the point with any one. Seed to soil contact seems to work. Now thats a sraight answer to your question that was kind of hard to answer the way you asked, now how much of an ass am i for tryinh to help you. Good luck.
    Mike

10. Wilandscape

Wilandscape LawnSite Member

I just did a yard like that for a friend, it was 4000 square feet. I charged him 600 dollars. This was short, but for a friend and the extra business he brought me, it's okay. It took me and another guy 2 days. We tilled the first 2-3 inches, brought in 5 yards of soil, raked it out. Seed, milorginite and hay because he didn't want to pay for erosion mat, plus it was pretty flat. If it was a random customer I probably would charge (because it took us 30 man hours) 900 for labor - but there were a lot of weeds, a stump I had to ground out.

Anyway between 750 - 900 in labor I would charge.