New Lawn Install not doing good

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NNJLandman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I just recently installed a new lawn at a house in town, went there today to look at the lawns progress and it looks horrible, its extremely thin and there are weeds coming up. The topsoil we spread turn into a rock after the first rain. Now I know that it is extremely hard to get a lawn to grow this time of year especially with the heat. Should I wait and reseed the lawn in the fall and work on it then and in spring next year or what? Any suggestions. Thanks

Jeff

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry to tell you this NNJ but this is your screw-up. You should have made sure you were prepping with good soil..easy to do. You need to back-up your work and make it good. Rip it out and fix the soil and replace.
    The only exeption to this would be the sod was bad when it came to you. Then I would be calling the sod company and looking for a solution with them.
    I have preached it a million times over.
    Know your soil buy good stuff or amend the **** out of what you have, don't cut corners prepping for sod, remove debri, buy good quality sod only, Keep it wet for the first week then don't allow it to dry out in the heat. Well and don't install in temps 100 or over.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There has been alot of pond dredgings being sold lately as top soil. Absolute crap. Compacts instantly, completely dead biologically. I agree She, you gotta know your source.

4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I bid on a job to sod the lawn an put down topsoil/seed/fert on all the brown spots/non-grass areas on the lawn. I bid $700 they got it done for $300. When I go and mow there still is no grass and its been 3 months the areas where the put the topsoil there are all small pebbles . :laugh: They where trying to tell me that I was overpriced :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

5. NNJLandman

Sheshovel you have a lot to say, but the company I bought the topsoil from is our areas leader in selling bulk materials so I felt I was buying a quality product, **** there phone number is 1800-topsoil. I have bought and used topsoil from this company before and havnt had this problem. Prepping with good soil....what are you talking about, do you hire a soil inspector to check out all your work. Out east we use topsoil, not that stuff you call sand, its black, looks like really nice dirt.

Anyway I figure Ill do what I can and come fall, plug it and overseed the lawn again.

Jeff

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

yOU seeded in the wrong time . I steer my business to seeding to mem. day build walls during summer back at lawns after labor day. There is exceptions i guess if you maybe have a less than 10,000 sq' yard and homeowner is retired and willing to water every day. I hydro-seeded 3 yards during the summer for other contractors telling them and the homeowner if it dont rain or it doesent get waterd it will not grow. They all grew well it lucked out and rained a few times. But dont call me back if it dont grow since i well explained growing grass is based on good timing with mother nature. You might get by this fall over seeding but when the weeds take over it is real tough.
    Mike

7. sheshovel

Yes I do have alot to say..so what? You asked did you not?
    Read my post again. I said that if the topsoil was not the case than your problem is with the sod company.
    If the soil looks nice and you have used it with no problems before..then why did it compact on you like you say it did? I don't understand you...
    Are you using the word "sod" for "seed" ?

8. NNJLandman

Where do you see anything about sod in any of my posts....I used seed, I would appreciate if you dont reply to any more of my posts, I rather let other landscapers correct me, you have always had something negative to say or put your words in a negative manner in some of my other posts as well as other people's posts.

Jeff

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

didnt see any mention of sod either.

watering 12 times a day is better than 8 which is better than 4. Customers think though once at night after work is the same thing. \
    water + seed = germination. Has been for 40,000 years.

10. sheshovel

Well excuse me! When I read the word "installed" I automaticly thought "sod". I made a mistake.
    I will respond to any thread I wish to on this board. If you do not want to see my replies, then simpy put me on iggy and your problem is solved. I could care less about what you think about my personality, there are many many of members here that have used my advice be it negative or positive and used it to their advantage. If you are that thin skinned, then don't post up your problems and ask for opinions.
    My opinion stands be it sod or seed. You did something wrong or that result would have not happened in your installation. Your job is to fix it and learn from it.