1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New lawn install on a budget

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GWhunter, Mar 27, 2010.

1. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

I've posted a little in the irrigation section about my project. It seems that the costs have caught up with me on this project and I need to rain them in.
    So I'd like comments on my plan and my best chances for sucess. I've got an area about 12500 sqft. I've had my soil tested and added the proper amendments(1200lbs of lime) mixed in the top 6" of soil with my harley rake. I've removed as many rocks as humanly possible here in eastern CT. I just brought in 75yds of premium topsoil compost and would like to spread it 2-3" then rake into the existing soil. I them planned to seed with 50% perenial rye and 25% kbb 25% fescue. I really wanted to hydro seed and irrigate but I just can't swing it. I also need to add a good starter fert and would like to know when I should lay the seed. Also I was planning on getting my grade set then a final harley raking. I then was going to roll it with 100lbs roller. I then was going to use a broadcast spreader to throw the seed. What is my best option after that. I plan on using several tower sprinlers on timers to keep the moisture correct. Now I know I'd get the best results with hydro or sod and sprinklers but I just can't swing it. I plan on overseeding this fall and again next spring. I also want to add a crab grass control (tupersan) is this possible without hydro seeding?

2. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 LawnSite Senior Member

first of all...
    this is a typical sob story for me... people spending thousands of dollars of loam and compost, and then skimping on the seeding...

Honestly, you could get that hydroseeding for 750 bucks.

your going to spend half of that on seed, and risk the chance of wash out,:nono:
  3. GWhunter

Sob story huh, well that's half the price of the cheapest hydro seeding quote I've gotten. Thanks for the super constructive reply.

4. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

I know its a decent size area but have you ever considered sod?

5. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 LawnSite Senior Member

I told you i would go down there! you have a cash ready for me. and ill be there . 900 ... SIMPLE AS THAT!!
    ill even throw in an extra bag of fert for ya to spread a few week after..

And I know you may doubt the price...
    But that will include, WOOD mulch for water retension and erosion control. Lime. Fertilizer, Tack, A Park and Athletic Seed mixture at 8lbs per 1000.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That small of a lawn...just broadcast it and roll it in. Strawing would be optional.

You should be able to get the seed for about $100 and you would have about $30 in straw and $12 in starter.

I wouldn't personally seed it that way...but if you are on a budget it should work for ya!
  7. GWhunter

I'm going to use a the stated grass mix. I called for pricing this morning. The seed is going to run me $250. The cost of the topsoil is the real killer for me. It just cost me over $1700 for the dirt alone.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You are getting screwed on the seed!
    For that amount of area that sounds about right on the topsoil.

I am paying $.76 right now for my TTTF/PR mix and I can get a 50/50 PR/KB for $1.06 right now.

Better shop around as you should be able to buy your seed for under $100.

9. was vaseline included in the price.
  10. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

he will spend 375 dollars to seed 12,500 sq ft? On what planet. At most he will spend 75 dollars.

Reading down I see him say 250. O.P. you can get a 50 pound bag of seed for 100 dollars at JDL. Maybe a tad more for a one time purchaser.