new lawn install price/sft

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bob Q, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Bob Q

Bob Q LawnSite Member
    from Conn

I am in CT and want to get into installing new lawns. I can't find out what to charge per/sft? This would be for Harley raking, seeding, starter and straw mulch.

No one will give a price, they want to come out for an estimate, so I can't really price them.

Help! Bob

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

new lawns or renovation?

3. Bob Q

Bob Q LawnSite Member
    from Conn

I want to do new lawns, there are alot of new homes going in, and I basically want a small piece of the pie, so to speek! The homes are grated but need finish grading(power raking).

Thanks Bob

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't think your competitions gonna tell you the truth about what they charge, why would they? Whats do you have to charge per hr to cover ins. equipment, fuel etc. ? These are YOUR cost and once you know them add the amount of profit you need to make and bid that amount. It not as easy as whats the competitions charging!

5. Bob Q

Bob Q LawnSite Member
    from Conn

Well, your right, it's not as easy as knowing what the compitition charges, but, I have to be competitive or I will never work! Once I find out what the going rate is, I can decide if I will work for that amount, or find something more lucrative.

Bob

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Well Try being honest with them 1 time. :angry: You drive to there place of business and tell them what you want to do and I'm sure you will get farther than pretending to be a home owner wanting there services. Theres a reason contractors don't price jobs out over the phone :dizzy: