New Lawn Installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qualitylandscaping, Jul 20, 2005.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a call from one of my commercial clients last week. The owners now want to renovate a 410'x450' parcel in the back of their office into lawn.

This is a fairly decent size job for us, and I'm not quite sure how to bid it. The weeds in the field are about 3-4' tall. I'm assuming it will need to be bush hogged, then tilled, then rockhounded?

Since its just over 4 acres, trucking in topsoil is not a costly option. Although, the existing soil is not the greatest.

Any ideas on price and what your method would be to tackle this thing.. It seems like it will take a while to do!

IM002036.JPG

IM002037.JPG

2. qualitylandscaping

Don't all speak up at once guys

Come on somebody has done a job like this before...

3. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

Bring in a Plow and a disc and then use a harley rake to finish it off. That is assuming you use a tractor and not a skid steer. Sounds like it is going to big money by the size of it.

4. qualitylandscaping

I'm in the $26,000 range right now, but want a few more opinions on exactly what should be done.. Altough I do have a pretty good idea what I want to do..

Just asking for a few more prof. opinions...

Thanks

5. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

What do you want to do

6. dcpete

dcpete LawnSite Member

Labor charge by the hour, hauling and dump fee.. 1.00 per sq ft to install sod is about what we would charge.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

No way is someone going to pay over 185K to sod a 4+ acre lot...Steve, you need to factor in everything from the prep through the finish / followup. If the lot is over grown to 3-4', I would clear cut everything first ( burn on site if allowed), then follow up with a non-selective herbicide(after all the debris is raked off). Check the pH to make sure a lawn will survive in the soil in it's current state, if not, factor in all amendments as well as soil treatments. Then, I'd use a york rake over the lot, followed by the harley rake to finish prep and final regrade as needed. Get a reliable, quality minded hydroseed contractor to come in and do your seeding for you. www.hydroseedingexperts.com will point you in the right direction. Depending on the seed type, and lawn quality desired, expect around 7.5-10K for seeding(or higher in the NY market ,possibly) Sounds like a decent job to me...keep us posted

8. qualitylandscaping

Impact,

Sounds like exactly what I quoted..

1) Brush Hog Entire Lot now
    2) Spray Lot with Weed Killer (sub to Lawn Doctor) Round-Up
    3) York Rake/ Tiller
    4) Harley Rake/ Rock Hound
    5) Hydroseed

Will hopefully be hydroseeded and complete by September 15th.. Want to wait until seed has a better chance to grow. Too hot now!

Quoted $26,500.00.... I'll let you know how it goes

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

why sub any of your work out, you cant send a couple of guys around with back pack sprayers with weed killer to kill all the weeds n what not off?

Jeff

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How long do you think it would take 2 guys with 3-4 gallon backpacks to mix and spray 577 gallons of solution ? That's why everyone has their area of expertise, Jeff. Let the right people with the right equipment/licenses/permits do what they do best. Make your margins,make money on another job while the subs work for you, come in and do what you need to do, and everyone is happy..and hopefully profits nicely from it.. :D