1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New lawn installation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dkraft, Jun 29, 2004.

1. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

I am planning to seed my new lawn in the very near future. I have approx. 42,000 sq. feet. I am going to be out of town the last week of July. Should I seed now or wait until I return? My concern is: will the seed have time to germinate in three weeks? I will not be able to water it while I am out of town will it stand the 9 days without water if it doesnt rain? Thanks.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If I was you, I'd wait until after your vacation. Late summer, early fall is an excellent time to begin a new lawn.
  3. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I agree with Rtom, wait until the last week of August or first week of September. These are optimal times for moisture and temperature, plus you dont get a lot of competetion from weeds.

I would take the time leading up to these dates to kill any weeds and till in any admendments. Make sure you till far enough in advance to let a good rain or two "beat" down the yard so you dont get sinkholes, low spots etc..
  4. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

blaze and rtom, should i wailt to harley rake until just before I seed or can I harley rake now and seed a month or more later?
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait on that also, or do it twice, now and just before you seed. Its important that part of the installation be done just before seeding because it helps prepare the seed bed which allows for better germination.