new lawn issues

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by krplun, Jul 29, 2005.

1. krplun

krplun LawnSite Member

just planted a new lawn this april, I treated the lawn for crabgrass and weeds last fall. The new grass came up pretty good, but the crabgrass and weeds are back as well, I am not sure how and when to treat it, I don't want to harm the new grass, but I would like to fill some areas in with seed this fall. Or should I treat the weeds and put seed in next spring? I am in New England and the grass is tall fescue. I have sandy soil.

2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Be diligent about weeding during your seeding establishment. You don't want competition with the seedlings. Either hand pull weeds or use a broadleaf weed killer herbicide that is designated for grass.

All warm season grasses may be sowed up until 6 weeks before fall's first killing frost. The seed will not germinate until the soil is warm enough. Try to save water by working with nature to provide moisture if at all possible.

All cool season grasses do best in spring and fall when it is cool. You will have to water extra if trying to germinate seed in the heat of the summer. Do not worry about killing frosts when seeding.

Tall Fescue: 3 to 4 lbs. per 1000 sq.ft.

Hope this helped.. :)

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

in my area (southern Maine) it seems the crab grass dies off toward the end of August.i tend to wait until mid sept. and over seed it with a slit seed type machine, then use a good starter fertilizer on it.in the spring hit it with a premergiant fert.

Ron

4. krplun

krplun LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I will throw more seed in this fall after crabgrass dies off. Oh joy I get to do the redeed thing all over again, but it will be less work than this spring was.