New Lawn just isn't right

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Willofalltrades, May 1, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are pictures from a lawn that went in last fall. It didn't really come out that good. The guy that installed it put tall fescue down and used straw. What would you recogmend is the best way to make this a nice green, full lawn? I am new to this type of work. I used to only cut grass for a local company, not grow it. Any help is appreciated.

Will's pics 109.jpg

Will's pics 110.jpg

Will's pics 115.jpg

Will's pics 113.jpg

Will's pics 114.jpg

2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

im sort of new as well, used to just mow for someone else, but have ask a similar question before just no pics. what i was proposing was rake up the straw, aerate, seed , starter fert, and water 2* daily. that sounded like a good idea to other members. sheshovel or 6' 330# either one of you agree cause this is a problem that you responded to. thought i might be on the right track.

3. mr mow

is that leftover straw though, looks like dirt. i would think the same process though minus the raking of straw

4. Willofalltrades

It is a mixture of left over straw and clay like dirt. The first pic makes it look more rich than it really is. I cut what was green today and as I was making my passes I realized that this will be a big project for me. The guy that installed it told me to put grass seed down and cover with some sorta stuff but I would have to do that to the whole yard. What about overseeding?

5. mr mow

well in effect thats what im talking about. dont take it from me im also waiting to see what others have to say. i have seen it alot. mostly from contsruction or trenching the year before. but like i said i ask a similar question before and got 2 responds from 1 ea from the people i mentioned before and they seem to know what the f%$# they were talking about in other threads i have seen them post in. i hope we both hear from someone a little more exp. but thats what i have offered to customers. sorry bout the spellings.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gee that is nasty lookin..I would rake it completely out.Aerate,top dress with weedless compost 2"thick or
    topsoil/compost mix and reseed itthick.The thing is make sure you reseed with the same type of grass..and make sure they are going to keep it watered properly.But if it was MY job I would recomend they start all over again and use sod instead of seed.If they diden't go for that then go for the second choice as I said above.There are several ways you can do this ..slitseed..hydroseed options too.

7. mr mow

yeah thanks for the input sheshovel even though those werent my pics. the lawn you gave me advice on wasnt near that bad. but if i run across one now like that i know what to do:)

8. Willofalltrades

oh so sheshovel is basically saying redo the yard? Would that be the responsibility of the person that installed the yard?

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Damn that looks awful dry and compacted to me. I would think that aerating and overseeding would be in order. I do not think the lawn needs to be ripped out, just repaired. But by all means ensure the customer is watering.

10. Willofalltrades

So could I just sub-contract the yard out and have a person with a hydroseeder come and squirt the yard, grass and all? They have a sprinkler system that hasn't been turned on yet. Once again they are waiting for the LCO that installed it and the yard to come out and look at the property. I think I'm just going to install the beds and wait because the other LCO might be obligated under contract to fix it. Although input is still welcome, you never know I might just get it.