New Lawn / Landscape Installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Skimastr105, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what you guys would bid on this project.

First: The client wants a new lawn installed. He also wants beds put in on either side of the front door and around the telephone pole. The existing circular raised bed with the wood sides will be removed. The rock by the driveway will be relocated to one of the beds, and several other natural boulders will be added. The lawn area will be seeded and fertilized.

I am adding approximately 72 yards of loam to the lawn area. The beds will be edged with aluminum landscape edging and mulched. The bid is for no plants as of right now, so that isn't a factor.

The dimensions are roughly 200' by 150' give or take.

I have attached a very rough sketch of what the beds will look like. If you have any questions, let me know. I would like to get as accurate an answer as possible.

Thanks, Alec.

0925071440.jpg

0925071440a.jpg

0925071440b.jpg

0925071440c.jpg

0925071440d.jpg

2. Skimastr105

more pics ...

0928071509.jpg

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

careful with the telephone pole idea, that's not his property, 6' right of way to power company i believe.

are you re-using the 6" boulders also? if so, that a lot of labor to remove and clean the dirt and weeds from before relaying, just keep that in mind when estimating your hours.

where the heck are you putting 72 yards of topsoil? the yard already looks like it is above the driveway and sidewalk? I understand bringing is some to fill in what looks like where a tree was removed in front of the door and an inch or so to topdress and till in the rest, but a triaxle load?

unless this is a new HO, you realize plants will never be added to the beds (except the weed variety:laugh: ) judging by the current state of the yard.

good luck.

4. Skimastr105

The six inch boulders are going to be removed. The soil is all clay and sand. The loam needs to be added to enrich the soil. Right now, it isn't very conducive to plant growth.

Thanks for the information about the telephone pole.

As far as plantings, I should be installing them in the spring. He will not be doing the work.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Is it not getting too late up in Michigan to plant a new lawn?

6. Skimastr105

We've its gotta get in soon, but we have time still. I'm waiting for him to approve the bid. He's getting a couple other estimates right now.

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

72 Yards!!! What are you gonna do excavate down 5 feet over the entire yard? I could see maybe taking a skidsteer and digging up 6 inches then adding topsoil. I think you should sod rather then seed for instance results. Do you have the equpment or skills to do this job? I could make his yard and landscaping look extremely nice for around $6-7000. I would also add plants to the beds as chances are the HO never will and that will make your part look bad.

8. Skimastr105

I have the skills and equipment necessary to do this job. Sodding is far out of his price range. He cannot afford to put in flowers right now. You've got to understand, this isn't my idea, it is the HO's. The first design I did had a full plant layout.

If I get the job, I will post after pictures for you.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

nice promo for stanley steemer! ha!

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Wow, that is one ugllllyyyy house. Good luck with that project. Keep us updated