new lawn minus the trees...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DowntoEarthLLC, Nov 6, 2004.

1. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

Ok, so this guy had 3 large oaks removed from his front yard.

Stumps ground up. Most of the roots removed.

But the soil is still very oak chippy. I was told these oak chips are very acidic and you will never get a lawn to grow on top of that. If the yard was regraded, and topsoil put down wouldn't this be sufficient? The home owner wanted a whole half foot of soil removed from his entire stump tree area and start with fresh topsoil.

Could the lawn been seeded with out removing a half foot of soil ?

Would lime help the oaks acidity?

Please Help .... Thanks!

2. Mowing Mike

Mowing Mike LawnSite Member

Its will be best to remove most or all of the stump grindings. They are very acidic. I would remove they grindings and replace with new soil, and put down lime in those areas. the roots that were not ground up into the soil should not be a problem.

Mike

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I am guessing there is still a substantial amount of chips there. When my tree guy grinds our stumps, we usually clean up after him, he takes no grindings or chips with him.So, we remove as many chips / soil as possible, and add new topsoil to the area and hydroseed it. The only real problem with large quantities of chips is they are less dense than soil, and settle a great deal more as they decompose. It's always better to err on the side of caution when dealing with large areas after removals. We also (usually, not always) over fill the area at least an inch or so above the current grade, even after running the machine over it, to allow for some extra settling. Don't bother with lime, either...

4. Mowing Mike

Impact, Why would you not bother with Lime? Please explain this to me

Mike

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about your soil out there, but here it's already on the sweet side. Not too many acidic soils that require liming around here. If we would lime every tree stump removal job, we would probably have problems with moss and such developing in the upper soil layers.I haven't ever limed any removal areas after removing chips / grindings, and have never had a hydroseeded yard or lot have any problems with chemical breakdown from insignificant grindings mixed in the new topsoil.

6. Mowing Mike

Here the ground is very acidic. If you don't put down lime on the stump area the grass will sprout and die. So if the soil is acidic then and lime, it will be best to test the soil in the same area to make the decision.

Mike

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

My grandma just had a pin oak removed and as a favor from her favorite grandson I put grass where the tree was. When I got there all that was left was the dirt that she had built up about a foot tall (10 foot diameter) where she had flowers planted and the chips. I took the bobcat over there and dug a hole about 2 foot deep and put the chips in it the covered it with the soil I dug up. Then I leveled off the rest of the area, broadcast seed and starter fert, then straw. I went back there yesterday to look at it and the grass was thicker than the hair on a dogs back. I told her not to cut it this year as we are supposed to have a couple freezes this next week and it will go dormant. I put no lime down and had no problems