New lawn preparation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sbarlow, May 26, 2008.

1. sbarlow

sbarlow LawnSite Member

We just moved into our brand new house, with our lawn to arrive soon. This region has had terrible grub infestations for the last few years and I am wondering what I can do (if anything) to prepare the earth before the topsoil and sod are installed. It is mainly grubs I'm concerned with but any suggestions for fertilizers to build a healthy lawn are appreciated.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Does your area have a ban on pesticides? If so, that limits some of your alternatives.
    If your property has been graded (or better yet, ripped and graded) that should take care of grubs that may have been there. Not only does that remove the food source, it also removes their "homes". The contractor installing the sod should also be fertilizing (make sure its in their contract), so you shouldn't have to do anything more there. The most important thing for you to do is to make sure your lot has a reasonable amount of topsoil. Many contractors strip the topsoil and sell it, then try to make a lawn on subsoil. It never works - you will eventually have an inferior lawn.
  3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

It's true, they did that on a condo complex that I drive by - the grass looks worse every year - thin, weeds all over the place, and the complex is just a few years old.

Yes, you do need a good layer of topsoil for healthy grass. That would be concern #1.
  4. sbarlow

sbarlow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info; I've been watching nearby lawns going in and no sign of any fertilizer. The lot has been graded and looks like it will take about 3" of topsoil to bring it up to proper grade. I think I'll buy a bag of fertilizer and do it; it will be money well spent if it helps the lawn settle in. Thanks again!