1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Lawn Seeding Rolled Seed Fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leejoy, Apr 29, 2006.

1. leejoy

leejoy LawnSite Member

Help

I've seen new lawns started with that grass seed embedded in large rolls that cover large areas. typically used for commercial and industrial sites. What is that product called? I can't find it at any landscape supply website or local garden center. I have also seen the "sprayed on" type of seed media where a "green" sprayed mixture of seed and protective coating is applied to new soil. What is that called?

Also, what is the recomended method or sequence of events to start a new lawn where an existing lawn is already established but is half dead. Other than tearing it all out and bringing in new soil which is a major job, what other options are there? what about dethatching the existing turf, then reseeding? or is that a waste of time. I am in northern Illinois area.

thanks

:dizzy:

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I believe it is called erosion control and you can buy it at shemin nurseries in addison or naperville.

3. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

the "sprayed on stuff" is called hydro seeding.