New Lawn Suggestions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Eagle3Fan, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

Ok I need some advice from the experts. I purchasing a home that is currently under construction in Birmingham, AL. The builder is going to sod all the front and back yards with bermuda. Its a fairly large lot so there will be some areas of the side and rear of the property that is outside the fenced backyard that will not be sodded. He is going to spread hay and seed with fescue for the winter. I have two questions:

What things should I do to the sodded part over the winter and next spring to really make the lawn healthy and look great?

I want the non-sodded part to blend with bermuda a quickly as possible. What suggestions to you have here? Will it blend naturally or will I need to seed? What about hydroseeding next spring?

Thanks for your help.

Eagle3Fan

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you want a true bermuda lawn, I would suggest you tell the builder to not use fescue on the side lawns. Fescue can be a bear to kill and keep from infecting the rest of your Bermuda lawn. An annual Rye grass might make a better choice for a temporay ground cover. It will die out completely as soon as the weather turns hot. It will also make a great temporary nurse grass for when you are ready to plant your side lawns with bermuda next spring. I would also suggest that you tell the builder to use straw instead of hay. Hay contains many weed seeds and they will just be another expense to eliminate. To insure that your seeded lawns can catch up to your sodded lawn I would suggest that you plant hulled bermuda seed as soon as the weather warms up enough in the spring to prevent the new seedlings from becoming frost bit. You can plant un-hulled bermuda before the danger of frost is over. The un-hulled will take a little longer to germinate but will offer more protection incase of a late frost. If the soil has been properly prepped before the rye is planted you shouldnt have to do much except to scalp the ryegrass, apply fertilizer and then slice seed the bermuda. You can also hydroseed over the rye by using a thinner slurry than is normaly applied, less hydromulch. The thinner slurry is necessary in order to be sure the seed reaches the ground and isnt suppended off the ground by the already growing rye grass.

3. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help Muddstopper. I sent a note to the builder with your suggestions.