New lawn, very thin

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LB Landscaping, Jul 23, 2006.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey guys, hoping for some suggestions. Have a customer that we did a lawn renovation for. Alot of moss and sink holes etc. Anyway the two weeks after we did the seeding we had a TON of rain:cry: (alot of it heavy)> I went over to look at it the other day and the grass thats there looks really good but it is very thin throughout the lawn. From the road it looks great but birdseye view real thin throughout. I expect that the rain washed alot of the seed away. So how can I thinken it up??

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

What all did you do for the renovation? Need more info. soil test, Till, add topsoil, aerate, fertilizer, etc... Not that I can help much, but I'd want to know what all you did, b/c I did a couple of renovations where we tested soil, aerated, added topsoil, seeded and starter fert., etc. and they came up very thin as well...2 of 4 came out beautiful, the other 2 were thin, same procedure for all of them, same topsoil!?! We suspected the rain, and/ or bad topsoil, but it tested out ok.

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Did a soil test and found the area to be acidic so it was adjusted, we stripped the top layer of turf/moss/crap and then tilled the entire area raked it out and leveled it. Added 3 inches of new loam to the area and seeded /starter fert/ and lesco's penn mulch was applied.

4. LB Landscaping

from Maine

How early is too early to slice seed??? I was thinking slice seeding is multiple directions to thicken it up.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Try topdressin the thin areas with compost or peat moss. Spread seed and rake it in. Water it frequently every day just like you would with a new seeding. You should be able to get grass to germinate without tearing up the new grass.

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Watering won't be a problem, irrigation was installed too. Thanks for the advice.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Overseed in 2 different directions and walk a consistant pace to have a consistent seeding...DON'T forget the starter fert!!!

8. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

under seed all thin areas then cover with a thin layer of dehydrated cow poop.didn't notice where you are, but watch out for fungus. .good luck:) :)