New Lawn, When can I Stripe?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by T.Wells, Oct 17, 2005.

1. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hello-

I recently reseeded my entire front lawn and I just mowed it for the first time yesterday at 4". :) I removed my chain kit which I use to lay stripes and wanted to ask how long I should keep it off so as to not kill the baby grass. While I can certainly keep it off for the remainder of the year, I also wouldn't mind seeing some stripes again before year end. Does anyone have a recommendation for or against dragging the chains in the near future?

-T.Wells

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i would lower the mower thats for sure. you don't want any snow mold on that newly reseeded lawn. since you have the chains i would say about 3-4 weeks should be fine if its on a agressive fert. program and shows no signs of disease.

3. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks. I usually mow at 3.5 inches on a regular day but I left the lawn get a little high to allow the new blades to mature a bit more. Cutting at 4" this time through was just enough to allow it to look better and to not take took much off each blade and induce stress on the grass.

Thanks,
    Tom

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

If the grass is was over 4" and you cut to it to 4" it should be well rooted and if you have a chain kit you probly have a walk behind mower or tractor which weighs a lot more the chains. Next cut put the chains on.

5. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yes, most of the grass was over 4" in length and I use a residential Cub Cadet Zero Turn mower (RZT 50) so it is pretty heavy. I guess that I can watch the tire tracks this week to see how well they recover knowing that the chains are nowhere near the weight of the mower. I really like your observation. :) Thank you.

T.Wells

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time.......