1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new lawn with weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by spud, Aug 16, 2001.

1. spud

spud LawnSite Member

Please give me your advice New home new lawn in june hydroseeded.. july installed sprinklers.. due to the heat ect and putting the sprinklers in after the lawn there are bare spots in areas . the questionis? when do I get rid of the weeds I was thinking of overseeding the lawn with in the next week or two to let the spots fill in and get as much grass growing as possible before the winter ..I am located in rhode island....should I deal with the weeds in the spring and have any products been better than others ..I have a lesco in town and a great seed co.. or should I battle the weeds now ?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Most Herbicide labels say not to treat any new grass that has not been mowed at least 5 times.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would work on seeding and getting the grass established, deal with the weeds next spring.
  4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If you overseed and fertilize before the cold hits, you will cover the bare spots and may choke out some of the weed growth. Also overseed and fertilize again in the spring and you may not have a weed problem. You might also have to aerate this spring to help everything. Good luck!
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Plus, many of your weeds may be annual, and will bite it at the first frost. For perennial weeds, you should start a program in spring.

And overseeding's a good idea.

Good luck!
  6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to fill the bare spots now and start with a post-emergence fert and winterizer this year