new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kcameron, May 30, 2001.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

I am new to the reseeding part of lawn care and have a quick question. I have a customer that has a brand new lawn seeded w/ rye and it is dying. She needs new grass put down but hasn't made up her mind. I am wanting to go to her with options and the best plan of action. She lives in central NC and the weather can get hot and dry in the summer. She is concidering centipede by sodding, but she is on a budget. Is it to late for grasses like fescue or bermuda? If not, what is the best way to seed them. If there are any other options out there, what are they? Thanks, Kevin
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Advise her to keep watering the seed, daily.
  3. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

First thing you have to do is find out why the new rye is dying.Is it lack of watering on the customers part,or the soil nutrients?Do a soil sample,and then correct the soil.Talk to her about how often she waters the new lawn,if its not that often(2 times a day)sell her on doing it in the fall,this is the best time anyhow.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Rye grass is not going to live when it gets hot period. And you can water it as much as you want. If I were you I would go with bermuda if you're gonna seed it. Bermuda is very heat tolerent and will thrive in our hot and humid N.C. weather. If she decides she wants fescue, you will need to wait until Sept. Oct. to plant it. And you can sod just about anytime you want with the proper care.
  5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

(Listen to AVRECON)
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ditto- I'd go with "savanna" bermuda, but even it won't grow in shade. Bermuda needs to be seded NOW, fertilized w/ a starter and watered lightly 2-3 times a day., and fertilized again lightly every 6 weeks. shady areas will have to be seeded in the fall ( september) with fescue, I'd use 5 star or rebels, but most blends work well. bermuda will not take if seeded in the fall. The stolons need three months to mature and come back next year. fescue will die with the heat if seeded now. Try to till , aerate, and or improve the soil whatever you do. Dave g
  7. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

Thanks greenguy. I take it when you said put a starter fert. down, you mean something like Scotts Turfbuilder or something of the sort? And what is the time frame between the seeding and initial fert. application? The customer said that she is and avid "lawn waterer", which I replied that was most of the battle right there. Thanks again, Kcameron
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

no don't put turf builder down, he means a actual starter fert., scotts starter works good for me, but thats on kentucky blue, find out if you will be able to use scotts STARTER fert. on bermuda grass. the fert. is a white color.
  9. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

You state that she is on a budget. Social Security or what?
    Just wondering, to see what she could afford. Also, what size is the lawn that needs help? Before anyone can really advise you as to what to do, we need to know what her financial situation is and what size area we are talking about. How much shaded area does she have? Give us a little more info.