1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Oct 11, 2000.

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I'm moving into a new house at the end of December. If you could start your lawn from scratch at this time of year, what would you do? I live in North Carolina. Thanks for the help.
  2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

What part of NC,If you just want gound cover consider Rye mixed with a small grain. And In the spring you can do it like you want. Of course if the climate stays like it has the past couple of years you may be ok to go with fescue. But who knows with our weather. Honestly I dont know what to tell ya. But if it were me I would grade it out like you want and go for it.

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I live in Charlotte. I want a fescue mix. I did't know if I was wasting my time based on this time of year. I was also thinking of hydro-seeding, but I also didn't want to waste money on that if I was only going to get so-so results for this time of year.
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

From a farming aspect you can get so so results anytime of the year.Im from the east of Mooresville so same climate.
    We have sowed grass this late and and had good sucess but that was in a pasture. I think if you have water and the temperature stays near the 70s you will be ok.
    Scott Brumley
  5. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Three things are required for grass to germinate
    1) Seed to Soil Contact
    2) Proper Temperature
    3) Moisture

Assuming that the lawn is graded out right and you are going to water it well, when needed, the only thing left is temperature. In our area (Tn) we are still seeding and will have good luck. If the temps. drop to 60 or less for good for highs you will get not so great results. It all depends on how the weather changes.
    Good Luck,
    Greg Pierce, CTP
  6. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

To germinate, seeds need:

-sufficient water
    -favorable temperature
    -and sometimes light.

Cool season grasses have the best root growth when soil temps are around 55. And they can have active growth with soil temps of 32.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

DBallard, I live just outside Charlotte and would be happy to help you out if you need it. I will be starting back to work tomorrow and will be in Pineville and South Charlotte. Give me a call if you are interested. My phone number is in the book in Matthews section or on my web site.