1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new lawn...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mattmor, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mattmor

mattmor LawnSite Member

I'm having a house built. It is going to be completed the end of July. They will be final grading and hydroseeding at that time. Should I have them wait on the seeding? If so then when should I have them come back? Or just have it done in the end of July and water the heck out of it? I'm on 1 acre, so I'm concered with how to water that much area. Please give me some ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

If you can make the call closer to the time of the project, it would be helpful.
    You know how fickle the weather is here in the North East.
    I've had good luck seeding in August/ September, But I think with Hydro seed once it is applied, it will want to be wet on a regular basis.
    Seed put down dry can sit and wait for the rains to come...
  3. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

Well.. July can be a very hot month and thats not good for seed to germinate. If you can, I would wait until late august or september to seed. If not, can you sod some of the lawn and then hydorseed the rest? If not, water the crap out of the lawn, every day, until the seeds germinate. At that point, cut back little by little - the trick here is to get the roots to grow very, very deep.

Good luck.