new lawn...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattmor, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mattmor

mattmor LawnSite Member

I know this is the commercial forum but I posted this in Homeowners and recieved no input. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm having a house built. It is going to be completed the end of July. They will be final grading and hydroseeding at that time. Should I have them wait on the seeding? If so then when should I have them come back? Or just have it done in the end of July and water the heck out of it? I'm on 1 acre, so I'm concered with how to water that much area. Please give me some ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

1acre is a lot of turf to cover with water if it isn't fully irrigated already. is it full sun? or is there some shading? I might wait til fall unless you've got a good water source, not to mention a couple hundred feet of hose
  3. mattmor

mattmor LawnSite Member

The home is just gettin finished so I don't really know the sun/shade situation yet.

I was considering an irrigation system. Roughly what kind of #'s can I figure to do an acre irrigation system. Thanks for replying.

4. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

If you can install an irrigation system, thats the way to go. Dont worry about it and have the lawn installed. Hydroseed will do well this time of year as long as you keep it watered. But we have always found that a late fall lawn is always the best. So if you are going to be finished with the house by the end of july, then maybe delay and have the lawn installed in the fall when the weather is cooler and there is more precipitation.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd wait till september to seed,your results will be much better.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would also recommend you hold off for the extra month for seeding.. last week of August the earliest. Whoever is going to be doing the seeding.. make sure it's the "good stuff" and not a "contractor's special mix" (crap).

A lot of weeds will probably set in... so you will want to have the lot sprayed before hand. Make sure you have this is done 14 day before you seed.

Good luck.
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Also, ask your hydroseed contractor if he uses a co-polymer crystal in his slurry. It is a powered crystaline substance which holds up to 400X it's weight in water.This helps to hold more water during grow in, keeping a higher humidity under the mulch, and also offers long term benefits as well. Other additives can be added to gain a faster result due to extreme temp. fluctuations as well. Make sure you have a proper soil test before spraying the lot. Know what you are working with, don't assume.Another point is seed mix and quality. Make sure you get the appropriate seed mix for your area, and look at the label for germination rates.For example: If you figure you will get 85% germination out of 50 pounds, apply 65 pounds of seed for 50 pounds recommended coverage. Good luck with the house. If you have any questions you can PM me.