New lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harleypitbullone, Jun 30, 2004.

1. harleypitbullone

harleypitbullone LawnSite Member

My lawn is only about 8 monthes old. When the house was just finished being built I hauled in topsoil to start my yard. I planted KY 31 fescue and annual rye grass. The yard looked great to only be 8 monthes old until about a month ago. When it started to get hot, part of the grass turned brown. People told me it was the rye grass dying. Now that it has happened, the yard is no where near as full as before. Does the fescue just need time, or do I need to plant something else and fertilize or what? What other times of grass would grow good in my environment? I have no means of watering the lawn much. So the grass will have to be able to grow without everyday water.

2. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

You should wait til fall and aerate/overseed with a good turf type fescue seed. Or, perhaps a better option, if you're wanting better drought tolerance, is to seed immediately with Zeon Zoysia seed. It should take a couple of growing seasons to become well established, but once it does, you'll have a high quality turf.

Then later you can kill out the remaining fescue with roundup in the winter or Corsair any time of year. Good luck.

Also, mix the seed 50/50 with a course sand when spreading to get a more uniform application. The seed is very small.

3. harleypitbullone

Thanks for the info fshrdan, does anyone else have any advice?

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Remember that Fescue is a "cool season" grass and to keep it green and alive in hot summer months...water....water...water....water or it will do that.

5. harleypitbullone

I live in middle TN and Ky 31 is what the co op told me I needed to plant. Will bermuda or something of that nature, do better in my area. The fescue that is in the yard is green if you are in it walking. But if you pass the house from the road, it appears to be brown.

6. MMLawn

I read in another forum where you are cutting it at 2.5" that is also not helping as you should cut it higher. Are you keeping it watered and doing so early in the day NOT late in the afternoon? Is is dying or is it brown patch? You really should plant a type of grass that best represents the "biggest" part/time of your yearly climate.

7. MMLawn

Yes, I personally would think that where you are Fescue is the right grass. Did you use a Very High Quality seed? and not one of the bulk discount retail store brands? Use GOOD Seed and Keep it watered and cut it higher and you WILL see a better result.

8. harleypitbullone

The seed come from a Farmers CO OP, I am not sure of the quality. It was the best they had. I have been checking across the internet for ideas. I found on a website that KY Bluegrass works well in TN. If I overseed this fall with that, will the fescue and the bluegrass do ok together?