New lawnboy and some Q's?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new lawnboy 2-cycle goldpro today and for the first 2 minutes of use it surges but....the guy who runs the mower shop said its gonna do that and its typical of that mower. Thats not what im worried about the thing im so worried about is that it dosent sound to loud....it just dosent sound like its whinding out at all....im used to 2-cycles running wide open but this just seems to have a farely steady low rpm. Is there a way of turning the carb up?? Or is this a EPA carb that cant be adjusted?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

probably like all new equipment. it's adjusted for clean air standards, not performance. maybe increase the fuel mixture a quarter turn out

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Last year when i bought my lawnboy the dealer cranked the rpms up on mine some, I didnt see what he turned but it has more rpm to it then it did when he first fired it up

4. Bunton Guy

I couldnt find any screw adjustments on the carb...I was able to play with the rev limiter to get higher rpms...untill you let go of that little fan blade that pushes off the flywheel.

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

the older stlye governer air vanes were adjusted with an assembly that adjusts with a clicking rotation, i have no idea what the newer ones are like..

6. Bunton Guy

yeah it looks like the air vanes are attached to a plastic pinion gear type of settup.

7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Bunton
    The DuraForce engine is a fixxed jet carb.
    The surging is caused by lean jetting.
    There are a guy on another fourm that gives detailed information on how to rejet the carb and cure the surging problem.
    He does not reccomend a LwnBoy for commerical use with a stock carb due to the lean factory settings.

8. Bunton Guy

I only noticed one jet in the engine there is a main jet in the float bowl.

9. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Yes they are two jets.
    The low speed jet is hiden by the parts number sticker on the side of the carb.
    The main jet is located inside the of the nozzle which is in the carb body.

The factory Low speed jet is a size 37.5
    The factory High speed jet is a 77.5

If you were to drill the Low speed jet out to a 39 and the High speed out to a 79 using wire gage drill bits and a hand drill. Your Lawnboy will wake up.

10. Bunton Guy

Now the guy you were speaking of that has done a so called mod is he using a aftermarket carb or is he doing to drilling out of the jets?