New Lawnboy or Toro 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertb_44, Mar 24, 2008.

1. robertb_44

robertb_44 LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm using toro super recycler personal pace 21", step up from home depot line.

I'm looking for a better mower w/o spending the $1200 for the commercial line as I've already spent a lot on upgrades this year, but something better than the toro.

Looking at Lawnboy Commercial at $799 self propelled.

Anyone have experience with it? Is it worth the extra $300 over the Super Recycler. Also would the Lawnboy Insight® Platinum model 10795 be better than the Super Recycler?
  2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

TORO PT21 i LOVE it $770
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The topic was discussed in another recent thread:

See my post, #22 for some recent observations.

After more discussions with some others, I am concluding the self-propelled drive system is a very weak point in the new LB offering. It appears to be a single speed system, just like LB used in recent consumer models. The "variable speed" feature is only achieved through careful control of feathering the handle bail. I'm concerned it will be too hard to control because the bail travel distance is very short.

I think my consideration of this machine is pretty well off the list. But, I'm not sure where else to turn. Toro doesn't work for me (that is the most common suggestion on LS), now I read some negative comments about Honda (although the source seems to have an axe to grind), I'm concerned about quality of cut on the Snapper.

This machine seems to be an enigma. Many are asking the same questions, asking for experiences, but, to date, nobody has anything to share. If somebody FINALLY buys one and uses it for a week of heavy use, and is able to post some objective assessments, it would be a welcome addition on LS.
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

agreed-we wont know till we get a first hand report. when the new husky came out-it showed promise-till some one actually bought one and gave us a detailed report-mostly neg
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Are you mostly bagging, mulching or side-discharging?
  6. robertb_44

robertb_44 LawnSite Member

probably 50/50, also yeah I know, I've read posts as well, no info on new lb, just hoping finally someone would respond. Someone must have used one by now.