"New" Lawncare people

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

WoW! Is all I can say. I have had 3 new flyers in my mail box this week. "I will beat anybody's price on yard work." $20 any yard!, "Son in college, times are tough need yards to mow to make ends meet for family of five!" , " I'm putting my way through college and need money fast will trim lawns,trees,etc!" Its going to be interesting to say the least. I was notified by the codo association that I mow I was underbid by $90.00 dollars a week on the mowing contract for this year. I told them to jerk his arm off and get it in writing. Some people have no clue :laugh::laugh:. I ended up getting it back last night at the price increase i gave on my original bid. I guess quality does count for something. I finished with my customer list last night and 100% are return customers. This is one year I wouldn't like to be "starting a lawncare company". It good to know that you have faithful customers that trust you and don't fall into the "lowballer" mindset. Good luck to everyone this year. Ours starts in a few days.:usflag:

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It's good that your keeping all your customers. Now you need to hire the guy doing them for $20 a lawn and let HIM do all the work. :D

3. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Ya no crap, pay him $20 bucks a lawn and sit back sippin a few long islands... Tis the season... But i do think people see this as the easiest start up business, until they do it of course!

4. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one day that said "name your own price" I read the details and this place will literally cut any lawn for whatever "you feel is a fair price" with no minimum. I should call them and have them cut my own lawn for $1 just so I don't have to do it.

I have noticed that I am not getting the response from my fliers that I got last year though. Kind of disappointed to say the least.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it will only get worse! as i see it here, i'll have these yo-yo's start out and once the blazing heat and rains come, they will be gone. most of the yo-yo's will have push mowers anyways, any its tooooo freaking hot in the summer to be pushing a mower, 90+ degress temps and high humidities... :laugh: i just laugh at these dummies, i see it year after year, thats when i start advertising again. :laugh:

6. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I was out mowing and doing a few estimates today. I must have seen 20 other LCO's out and about. Some were old familiar trucks that have been around for years, but most were new to me. You guys should have seen some of these yahoos. All of them had 25 year old murray lawn tractors either in the back of a pickup or on trailers that looked like the floors would fall through. And they looked like escaped convicts that hadn't bathed in a month. I can't imagine anybody wanting these people to work in their yards. Funny thing is that out of all the new guys I saw, I didn't see any of these startups actually working. They were all either at fast food joints or coming out of the convenience store with snacks. So maybe they just ride around town hoping somebody will stop them and ask them to cut their grass.

7. skennedy04

skennedy04 LawnSite Member

Same here......they all like to low ball and offer services that they cant keep up with....I pick up most of my new lawn clients about the middle of the season when these idiots QUIT and dont show,then they see the service we provide and they are hooked.

8. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

"They were all either at fast food joints or coming out of the convenience store with snacks. So maybe they just ride around town hoping somebody will stop them and ask them to cut their grass."

Very TRUE!! Saw a few here handing out fliers at Walmart dressed in ripped shorts and arm pit stained white v neck t-shirts! Holy cow, I wouldn't take the flier from the guy, never the less call them for a estimate! Looks good for us though, PLEASE all future lowballers and start up crap-o-matic lco's do NOT shave, shower, or show an inch of self pride, it's making my phone ring!!

9. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, lots of new ones here too. I have 2,500 post cards out and only got 2 calls! No work! ahhh, haha, oh well we're stayin busy.

10. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully they all give up, and we can pick up their customers.