New lawns and getting stuck!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingspointe, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

Hey guys

I just hope I don't sound too stupid or what not but here's my problem and I'm wondering what you guys do in these situations. Our residential market is mostly homes 7 years old and younger. So in turn, newer grass, healthy systems, etc. But we do get the newly sodded lawns. We wait about 3 weeks, until the grass takes to cut. It does take us longer and we charge accordingly, but sometimes we get stuck. We get over it about 3 times with the ultravac and clean it up beautifully, but when you have 10in tall grass, you just cannot see low spots in new yards. My mower sometimes takes the grass right out. I hate it so much, makes our work just look bad but theres not too much we can do. Do you guys have any suggestions? Our clientel is not hurting, but these new lawns sometimes take a beating. I try going slow too but no cigar! :confused: thanks guys

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

three things
    1. use a smaller mower
    2. or just avoid the areas with the mower and come back and trim them later
    3. or suggest to the home owner of fixing the problem by bringing in some black dirt

3. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

From my experience, freshly sodded lawns are often over-watered. For this reason, mid sized walk behinds usually work better on freshly sodded lawns because they weigh less than a ztr, and will not rut the lawn as much. I usually find it takes about a month, sometimes longer, for a newly sodded lawn to look good. Simply explain to your customers that it will take a while for the lawn to look its best.