New LawnSite Give Away from Jim Carter & W.E. Chapps

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Sean Adams, May 6, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It is time for another LawnSite give away. This month Jim Carter and the folks at W.E. Chapps have offered up a great new product they have for the give away. The message below is directly from Jim.
    ==============================================

We appreciate what Lawnsite and the members have done for the Lawn Maintenance and Landscape Industry and want to give something back to the LS community. We also want to make everyone aware of our products and have our website be more interactive. One thing we have done is added a link on the home page for you to send us photos of you, your crew, or your equipment with a W.E. product included. You can get that started today by sending your photos to safety@wechapps.com.

The Lawnsite giveaway will be for one of our new products for 2005 - The W.E. Z/Top, a new style of sun canopy that tips back and out of your way for the ROPS Bar on Zero Turn Mowers. If you do not have any ROPS on your mowers, then you can choose the products of your choice up to $199.95. Here is a direct link to the W.E. Z/Top ... http://www.wechapps.com/home/Misc_Chapps/W_E__Z-Top/w_e__z-top.html

The question is this: If you have ever used one of our W.E. products, how did it work for you, any experiences that you had in the field that we all would be interested in, and what changes or modifications would you do to the product? If you haven't tried one of our W.E. products and want to be in the giveaway, go to our website and find a product that has not been mentioned in any of the responses to date.

We hope that the Spring has started out strong for you and that you have a safe and successful season. And remember, W.E. can help you cut it!"
    ---
    Jim Carter
    W.E.Chapps, Inc.
    800-816-2427
    Fax: 386-767-2200
    http://www.wechapps.com
    ===========================================

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have not yet to date tried any of your WE Chapps products, but did go and check out your website. It reminded me a lot of Lean Process Training from the manufacturing world. It's not necessarily how to do things, but how to do things better, easier, and more productively. By simply moving the water cooler closer to where you work, you cut down on the walking time, keep yourself hydrated and healthy, and increase productivity time.
    It hits home looking at all of your products, like the water bottle holder, and trash bags that attach to the mower. you cut down so much time with simple solutions, where the initial investment is very low, but the rewards are high. A great type of attitude toward anyone working to be more productive (such as every LCO owner!)

I am choosing however one product off of your website which may not be as important for productivity as for saftey, which are your cool flaps.
    The sun is a dangerous thing, especially for people working outdoors upwards of 50 hours a week, 30 weeks a year, for 20+ years. I have recently had 3 people I know personally become ill, or pass away from skin cancer, which more than likely has been caused by sun burning, and prolonged exposure to the elements on their jobs. This item will protect the back of your neck, which often times is always exposed to the sunlight. The cool flaps will definitely improve your temperature, but more so, is protecting the most valuable piece of equipment in your entire line of business, your body.

Rob
    TWINS Lawn Care

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been loookng for a mower to replace my ztr with and did not like the rops, I dont have hills and dont really need rollover protection so I wasnt looking at the mowers with rops, After seeing the sun canopy I have decided that the mower I want will have the rops,This looks ideal for using in the florida sun It can get quite hot in the summer time not to mention the rainy season were I am soaked on a daily basis. Thank you for helping me pick my next ztr.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i ordred from you guys, some mesh refuse bags for the mower handles, which i have on each. makes it much easier then "nudging" them aside to be cleaned up after. :)
    but the real saver was the forearm chaps. here in the northeast, barberry plants are as common as anything. reaching across the hedge is not the pain staking feat it was prior... no more thorns in my arms!
    i don't own a Z, just thought i'd sound off on some useful products. :waving:

as far as improving a product, i think instead of the current velcro, i would instead use a piece of elastic, so you can basically slide it right on your arm and not worry about it coming off. sort of like an instant "one size fits all". i plan on sewing a piece on shortly.

5. tc2

tc2 LawnSite Member

I haven't used any of the W.E. Chapps products yet but I'm looking at getting some of their great accessories, especially the Groundskeeper Mower Mesh Bags. Right now I use a Home Depot nail bag and it can only hold so much trash until the trash starts to fall out. One of your mesh bags would greatly decrease the time that I spend picking up trash that falls out of my own trash bag and the mesh bags look better than the orange Home Depot bag on the back of my mower.
    Your products really look like they make cutting grass easier and they get rid of a lot of the annoyances such as the sun, grass hitting your legs, etc.

Thomas

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I purchased a pair of your leg chapps and have been very pleased with their durability... perhaps the next best thing to wearing Kevlar. I’m just thinking that when the day comes that I happen to walk into Fido’s back yard and he decides to take a chomp out of me that I’ll be wearing those chaps.

I had made one suggestion already on your forum regarding replacement bags for these blower/shredder vacs, which by the way seem to be made to wear out, but I have also noticed that a number of smaller mower bags also follow that trait. For years I have been using 21” Honda commercial mowers in my business as well as back when I worked for other companies, and after a while they wear out – generally around where the metal framework rubs against the bag. As in the case of the blower/shredder vac, the Achilles heals of these bags – and quite likely others as well - tend to be where they are always being rubbed. I am not sure how feasible it would be to venture into the small mower replacement bag line, but it would be interesting to hear how many guys have had to replace their mower bags.

And one last thing… I know that the W.E. Rider/Z Cover covers the Walker mower, however, at least with me, while I’m running around town from one place to another it’s really too much to crawl into my tightly packed trailer to cover and uncover the mower all day long, but I DO want to keep the control panel covered during days of rain. My ingenious solution has been to use a plastic bag and a bungie cord to cover these vital parts - no, I’m not going to attach a picture of it, but oh wouldn’t it be nice to have a rainproof Chapps Velcro or elastic cover that would just slip over the panel? Oh yeah, baby.