Lawn Care Forum banner

New layout? Is there a way to swich back ?

27K views 95 replies 46 participants last post by  Roger 
#1 ·
Cause ...Im not diggin it

#57 ·
Like the new skin guys

Good work :drinkup:
thanks Kirk, we appreciate it

trust me, it wasn't all Martha.... haha
agreed :waving: and we do appreciate all "helpful" suggestions and/or "constructive" criticism when it comes to the new layout, color scheme, etc.

#59 ·
thanks Kirk, we appreciate it

agreed :waving: and we do appreciate all "helpful" suggestions and/or "constructive" criticism when it comes to the new layout, color scheme, etc.
I know you guys have seen a lot of bashing on the new design and I like the layout, it looks more modern and updated but I agree with everyone else, the color scheme needs work. I have to lower my laptop brightness just to read the site because it is so white washed

#61 ·
Who ever is responsible for web design here .....

1) Use the W3C validator please. html -> http://validator.w3.org/ css -> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

2) Give some strong consideration for using CSS drop down menu instead of JS.

Also, you should consider setting up a test site so your not making changes to/breaking a live site.
I like the new site, and I like the new setup and drop downs. I like the old logo though.

#62 ·
Not bashing, but it's like you went from a trade oriented professional "field" tested layout to this neutral Pinterest inspired "daytime" theme that really doesn't go along with the green grass, brown dirt, whatever else... The "night" colors aren't too bad as there is a decent contrast between everything and things look to be in their place. Maybe just some color tweaking on the "day" theme... I'm trying to like it...

#64 ·
Who ever is responsible for web design here .....

1) Use the W3C validator please. html -> http://validator.w3.org/ css -> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
If you can find an install of vBulletin or WordPress that validates, or you actually take the time to make the site do so, you win the internet...

Also, make sure the membership upgrades their IE versions. Some older browsers (IE8 comes to mind) don't like some of the strictly valid code.

#65 ·
we have changed the color of the heading for each post to be a bit darker...let us know if that looks better to you

thanks
Speaking strictly in usability terms, and with a blend of the subjective and objective for you, Michael... :)

I still think it's a bit too ethereal and dream state'y with the pastel palette and each color marginally transitioning to the next. Until we naturally get use to it, there's a focus change that rests solely on the membership's ability to do so. And we've been conditioned to breathe high contrast here for [looks at join date] a reeeeally long time.

Color palette aside, I don't "get" the daytime/nighttime change. No offense to whoever pushed for that, but it's 10-15 yr old gimmicky. It's akin to adding a visitor counter to a site. If the revision idea came across my desk, the question I would simply ask is "Why?" and "What does it really add?". To me, it only adds to the lack of comfort of visually reorienting to the site when a member returns. Some will look at is as "That's super cool!", while others will say, "Something's not right.".

Obviously, drastic color change is difficult and everyone will eventually adjust but, ultimately, do the visual changes that have been made function in the best interest of usability and readability? I'm all for evolution, but I don't think it's where it should be...yet.

#66 ·
If you can find an install of vBulletin or WordPress that validates, or you actually take the time to make the site do so, you win the internet...
The suggestion was in hope of fixing broken layout and the perpetual horizontal scroll bar. Wouldn't hurt to do full blown overhaul to get site design/layout properly coded with CSS.

Also, make sure the membership upgrades their IE versions. Some older browsers (IE8 comes to mind) don't like some of the strictly valid code.
You can write valid code for all browsers. Now whether or not some browser versions will support cutting edge versions of XHTML, XML and CSS is another issue altogether.

#72 · (Edited)
A.K.A quirks mode. IE 4 & 5 are notorious for being non-compliant, but you can still write valid code for them, even if you had to jump though some hoops to get some of the CSS 2 markups to work properly. Admittedly, some of those CSS workarounds made the CSS invalid, strictly speaking.
Why Why Why?

Edit ....

Post big files and big pictures cause if they can not purchase a nice ISP they can not afford me.
Understand?

#73 ·
I will say it's growing on me and am getting used to the new layout.

Still think the real-estate for the threads isn't big enough though, but I understand that the advertising is what keeps this site going.

I would suggest upping the default font a shade, that might do the trick.

#74 ·
It's growing on me..it's good to change things up. The layout looks good. I like the night and day color change thing as well. Good job guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.