1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new lazer 52"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by duramaxlt, Mar 19, 2003.

1. duramaxlt

duramaxlt LawnSite Member
    from georgia

i took your advice and bought the new lazer z 52" 20 hp koh so far i love this machine seems plenty strong enough to me i just have a quetion,wny should i change the oil & filter after first 5 hours of use do these engines have a special break in oil.thanks i'm loving my z so far.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The reason that you change it is because the oil and filter is full of metal filing from your engine breaking in. The oil is a plain non-detergent.

This is something you don't want to forget. I would also recommend that you don't bypass the next one either. The first 2 are important.

Good luck with your machine we are glad that you like it.

Thanks, Fred.
  3. Pat Daniels

Pat Daniels LawnSite Member

I also have a new Lazer Z. You recommend oil change after the first 5 hours. How bout the second change, how many hours, then every 50 or 100 after that?
  4. eXmark

Oil changing,

These are intervals that the engine manufacturing recommend. Most will tell say for heavy and dirty commercial uses every 50hrs. Other people should change it between 50-100hrs.

Here is what breaks down oil. Heating it up or over heating, dirt getting past the (filter, dipstick or fill cap) and combustion of the fuel.

So if your cooling fins are plugged, your filter is not on straight and you're running bad fuel I would change my oil every 20hrs.

Thanks, Fred.
  5. Pat Daniels

Pat Daniels LawnSite Member

"the first two changes are the most important"

OK. Are you saying at 5 hours and the next (second) change at 55 to 105?

6. eXmark

Pat Daniels,

The book would say 50-100hrs. If it were me, I would change it 50hrs or less. Just clear the air, there is nothing wrong with following the manual!

Thanks, Fred.
  7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I am a little excessive with mine, but I paid too much for it to neglect it.
    I have changed the oil and filter on mine every 25 hrs, 175 hrs on it so far.
    After years in the auto mobile ind. I just believe in changing the oil often. I like for it to be almost the same color coming out as it was going in. lol
    No problems with mine either , love it wouldnt take anything for it.