1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Lazer HP owner!!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RayoVac, May 18, 2005.

1. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Well I did it. Pulled the trigger today and purchased a new 2005 Exmark Lazer HP. I got the 48" Deck with the 19 hp Kawi, UltraVac Bagger, Striper and Lights.

My previous unit was a 2002 Grasshopper 618 front mount 52" with a 18 Kohler. The GH was just to long and especially with the Grass Collection mounted. Not to mention... WoW!! I demoed the Exmark HP, Ferris 1500z, Scag Tiger Cub, Simplicity Citation and let me tell you even the Ferris/Citation Hydros and drives where WAAAAYYY smother and quieter then my Grasshopper ever was.

Even with no load or blade not spinning the GH always seemed like it was groaning to get moving. And compared to driving the Exmark... the Grasshopper was more like a Slug!

I had a really hard time, it came down between the Scag and Ferris... but both had trade offs that I did not care for. Then I looked at the Lazer HP and could not see any trade-offs. The only negative was that the collection system impeller/blower on the Scag and Ferris where mounted in the Vertical position causing more of a mulching of the material fed into it. This arrangement also takes less space out to the side. The UltraVac is more inline and mounted horizontally... and really does not "mulch" the material fed through it.

Ultimately I decided that I could sacrifice some items to get what I felt would be the Best Cutting deck under most conditions. After my demo and lots of comments read here... I chose the Exmark. Yes it did cost more then the Ferris/Citation but was about the same as a Scag Tiger Cub.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats! I'm sure it will give you years of enjoyment.
  3. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Sounds like a nice machine! Post some pics when you can.
  4. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

I hope to pick it up tomorrow and will post picks as soon as I get it off the trailer. :)
  5. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the exmark hp 2352 with the ultra vac.Its been a great machine and you will love the ultra vac.

Congrats. :cool:
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what engine did you have on GH?
  7. daltonbuck

daltonbuck LawnSite Member

I demoed Grasshopppers, Scag, eXmark, and Walker... for the best cut and low maintenance Grasshopper is by far my best favor. Sorry to hear you ditched your GH. Of course yours in much different from mine. I have the 23 Horse Koehler. Gas tanks in center of gravity for more lvel cut. No switching back and forth between tanks to keep it even. Plus the hydro pumps have fans on them so less chance of them ever going out. I am a gung-ho Grasshopper man and nothing thus far can change my mind. Hoe the Exmark works out for you.

8. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

I had the 618 Front Mount with an 18hp Kohler. I will admit to thinking the cut on the 52" deck to me gorgeous... but there were so many other things that really bothered me about it.

Yes it is possible I just had a lemon... and if I were a commercial cutter... I may have stuck with it and tried some other GH options... but I had to chance to sell it for a good price, so I did.

Aside from my very sluggish hydros... my choke would freeze even after multiple lubrications, I had the typical really, really bad back fire from the kohler when shutting down. I would have to let the machine run at a slower speed for quite a bit, to cool down I guess... before shutting down to avoid the back fire. Yes I tried shutting down mid throttle, full throttle, idle, idle after 10 seconds or so... typically a back fire. My PTO could barely engage without killing the engine... I had to engage at full throttle or forget it. And with the collection system on... I had to pop the PTO in and out a few times before I could get it to engage without killing the engine.

The hydros had an awful very loud whine even after fluid filter change etc. Grease Zert on one of the bearings for the main drive rod that attaches to the shaft assembly broke off...

As you can see... I ditched the GH not just because I was unhappy with the color. Also I truly believe at the class of mower we are looking at when talking a GH, Ferris, Hustler, Scag, Exmark, Chopper... it is like comparing an Ford F-150 to a Chevy Silverado 1500.

So as the GH fans are so loyal... so are many other folks on these boards. And as most have pointed out... Dealer support is soooo very important... even from the homeowner aspect.

I am glad you guys love the GH and have had good experiences with them. For me, my 618 was full of issues and problems. Maybe had I started with a 700 series or a Midmount I would feel differently. But for a homeowner putting out $7K plus for home mowing equipment, when we get burnt... we tend not to want to put our hand in the same flame again.

Thanks for the feedback and I will post pics of the new Lazer HP as soon as I can.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I used my "new/slightly used" lazer z today for the first time on a yard with 6 inch tall wet grass and man did I like the ultra vac QDS! It was so nice to just back up and dump from the seat than getting off and emptying the hopper. This thing could make me lazy. Now when I tried to change the oil this afternoon I would have liked to got my hands around the throat of whoever put the oil filter on at the factory! :angry: Took me over an hour to break that bad boy loose. Enjoy your new ride!
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member