New Lazer Z XP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Dec 13, 2000.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I will be going out on my own this year and I already have all my equipment except my mowers.My question is does anyone know anything about this new mower besides what exmark has on there web page.I was thinking about the 27 hp Diatsui(spelling?).I like the diesel idea.I was thinking maybe someone has an inside scoop??When in the spring are they coming out?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ed, I'm an Exmark man myself, but before you look to far into something that new, you might want to look underneath in back and check out that double belt system It looks like a nightmare! I CAN vouch for the LC and the EPS with EFI. The EPS is a sweet machine with WAY more power than the Liquid cooled. Do a search, and you'll turn up a whole bunch on these machines. Good luck with your venture!

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen the LC, so could you explain about the belts? Anyone else seen one, [Lazer, how about you], what do you think, is it too much more complicated than the air cooled or is the extra power, reliability and longevity of the LC going to be worth it? Will

4. Mr.Ziffel

Or did I read that last post wrong and miss that Runner is referring to the complicated belt system of the diesel? Oops, don't know how I missed that the first time. Will

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The XP's do seem a little scary with the dual mule drive. Plus they seem a little porky with the cast iron blocks. The cc's of the Diahatsu's seem a little on the small side too. Time will tell I guess. In the mean time, go with a EPS or a LC 27.

6. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

It depends on your lot size and how much you want to spend. The 27hp LC Kawi retails for $9,200. The 27hp Deisel retails for $13,000. I personall wouldn't bother with the diesel considering the LC will give you the same longevity if you maintain it. I wouldn't bother with the LC model unless you were putting over 500hrs per year on a machine. Figure out what size lots, gate width's, and the amount of trimming that you have, then buy a mower to fit that criteria. A LazerZ HP might be your best bet just starting out. Or a good size walk behind. If you have any questions e-mail me. I know just about everything about eX-mark and Walker mowers.

7. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks for all the input,I am really glad I found this site.I will be getting a 36"Exmark walk behind for gated yards and smaller yards but will also purchase a Lazer Z.I have ran Dixie Choppers for 4 years,I have been on the flat lander,suburban turban .I tried a friends Z and was amazed.That what I will be on this year

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,
    You know everything about Exmarks and Walkers yet you don't own a Lazer or a Walker??
    I have done alot of demos and research, but still far from a know it all.
    Jeff, Lazer owner

9. Mr.Ziffel

Not to be too hard on Mike, I remember [barely] when I was his age I knew just about everything. As I'm sure some of us know, the older I've gotten, the less I know, especially the less I know for certain.

Mike, the knowledge you've passed on here is interesting, BUT you need to remember to consider the source. Corporate interests and retailers are interested only in their primary goal - MAKE THE SALE! They will do it through marketing, stretching the truth, shading the facts or even occasionally telling the truth. Consider your source for Exmark, as you've stated on previous posts.

The president and marketing manager cannot tell you anything but that their machine performs flawlessly. Of course they tell you it will pick up wet, thick grass, mulch, discharge or bag perfectly. Water will drain from the bag without ever plugging the tube. Fantastic, right? Well, it may well work that way, BUT let's hear it from the pros who have actual experience with the actual machines under day to day working conditions. People who use them every day.

Even then, remember that information has to be taken with a grain of salt. Even though a poster on this board may mean well, remember to consider the source. As my wife says, what else can someone who just purchased a new $75,000 Lexus tell you other than it's the best car they've ever had and don't know how they could have ever lived without it. Even if it's a piece of crap they can't tell you because that means they just purchased a gold plated piece of crap and made a wrong decision--very few people are going to tell you this about themselves.

No offense to all the well-meaning posters on this board, but have you noticed that certain individuals [I'm not going to name anyone] always seem to push the same machine as being the best? They usually, with some notable exceptions, seem to either have just bought one or know someone who did. The people I want to hear from have owned and used several of the same brand over the years or own fleets of the same brand and can give us specific reasons why their machine is the best FOR THEIR PURPOSES and what problems they have had or forsee.

I have learned quite a bit from this board, but the most important things I have learned is what questions to ask and what to look out for. After that, it's up to me to use my own independent judgement to make my own decisions. I sure wish I knew just about everything about this stuff so I could make the perfect decision, but I'll just have to muddle by on what I've picked up along the way.

Mike, keep learning and keep contributing, but remember there are very few people who really do know it all. Good luck. Will

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Mr. Ziffell...couldn't have said it any better myself.