1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New leaf box

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Raymond S., Oct 4, 2010.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Thought some of you may enjoy this. Measures 5' tall off the rails, 6' wide, 8.5' long. Used 1" tubing and galvanized metal. expanded metal 12" wide down the middle on top for vent. I painted it this past weekend and it's getting lettered later this week. We'll see how it works. Sorry in advance for the sideways pics. My Iphone is a pain in the arse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Looks really good. Is that a 250 or a 350 and where are you gonna mount the loader.

3. KE-llc

KE-llc LawnSite Senior Member

looks good...put a tarp or plywood against the front of the box to keep rocks from shooting through the metal. looks like you forgot to cut a hole for you vac.

4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

If a tarp is going to stop the rocks I think the metal will be just fine without it!

5. KE-llc

the tarp would be folded so its 2-4 sheets thick and nailed to the roof about 1-2' before the front of the leaf box by the cab. the tarp would absorb most of the impact of any rocks before it hits the wall. think of it as a crappy kevlar vest

honestly plywood nailed/bolted to the front of the box would be best.

thanks for the smart alack response though Thumbs Up

6. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your welcome!:waving:

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Truck is a F250 though I run Timbrens front and back. I had 2.5tons of landscaping stone in it Fri. and there was about 1/2 the space between the wheel wells and tires as there is in the pic you see here. I don't make a habit of loading that much but the truck handles 4 yds of mulch no problem. I'm anxious to see what this box weighs loaded w/ packed leaves.

That's good advice on the rock guard. Not sure about the tarp, but I'll definitely put something up front to act as a rock guard. Possibly just another piece of steel on the inside if nothing else.

I haven't cut a hole for the vac yet just in case I had a change of heart where I was mounting the vac. I have a spot framed out 12"x12" at the top of the rear door where it will go, just haven't done it yet.

8. KE-llc

Are you mounting the vac on your truck or trailer?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

That's a nice leaf box, how much does it weight in addition to the dump insert.

10. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Nice man.kool.that is a noice one.sweet man..good luck to you this fall.