New lighting install

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jdgent, Nov 19, 2006.

1. jdgent

jdgent LawnSite Member

Attached are some photos of my home from different angles. I have read this blog for some time and feel that there are quite a few experienced members with more knowledge in this field than I. I have spent the last year maintaining existing low voltage systems, reading, experimenting with lighting effects and preparing myself for my first install...my own home. With the few photos that I have attached, I would like any suggestions the pros might have on the lighting design. I will answer any questions and appreciate any input.

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Oops, where are the pics?

3. jdgent

jdgent LawnSite Member

Apparently there was a problem with the download....sorry.

IMG_0245a.JPG

IMG_0249a.JPG

IMG_0251a.JPG

IMG_0247a.JPG

4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

jdgent, beautiful home, love the neighborhood. great foilage all around of varying types. Here's my advice...If you haven't done this already take a walk or drive around your neighborhood and see what your neighbors have. As someone who is doing this as a profession your want to do something unique. If you see nothing or the run of the mill pathlights/uplights on some of the foilage that partly catches parts of there house with no real consistent light on house I would make your focus on architecture...graze the walls of your house (8)..(2060 if using bullet) (lo4446 if using well light) and one on each pillar by front door and (3) pathlights on sidewalk. That would be inexpensive and could be added onto later as you grow in the business. There is no reason to get too carried with the design at this point when your experience level is in the growing stage and that might be all it takes to wow your wife and neighbors. remember, they might want you to do something for them, if you say it's going to cost $15,000 to do something like you have on your house, they might say..no thanks. If, however, there are some awesome jobs around you, let me know...We'll have to discuss what your willing to invest at this time. The job I described above would probably retail at about $3000. Get back to me. What manufacturer are you going to be using?

5. jdgent

jdgent LawnSite Member

Thank you for your comments/compliments. Everyone in this small neighborhood has the lower end lighting. Something to keep in mind is that this is a cut thru road to the million dollar homes on the water. So I want to keep the initial expenses down, but I also want to get the attention of the executives that are driving home. I have a landscape maintenance company and I am adding the lighting as a natural addition...the homes that I maintain are $500K and up. That being said, I see a lot of poorly installed systems with no creativity. At this point, irregardless of the negative comments about them, I like Nightscaping fixtures (10 year to lifetime warranty) and Kichler transformers...would go with the Nightscaping transformer if it had a breaker instead of a fuse. Nightscaping is really working with me so I feel committed to them. Although I will listen to arguments against this choice. As you stated, I would like to keep the initial install at around $3K with a large enough transformer for future growth. My experience level is a beginner as it concerns light, but I do have twenty years experience in electronics. Just wanted you to know that my design capability is fine as it concerns Ohms law, it's my photometrics that needs work. Hey, thanks for responding. Have a great holiday!

6. niteliters

oh my goodness, I am going to faint!!! Nightscaping, my friend my father and I have been using Nightscaping for 10 years and I know what your talking about when it comes to the abuse you can suffer at the hands of fellow contractors when the word 'Nightscaping" is mentioned. I have many opinions on that subject. You need to email me with your cell# or some other way I can talk with you cause I can't type that fast :). Do you know Doug Alderman?? my email address is chrism@niteliters.com Let me know on this forum that you emailed me in case it doesn't get through

7. niteliters

I guess you could pm on this forum with your contact info. Let me know either way what you've done so your messeage doesn't get lost.
    txs

8. niteliters

because your using nightscaping I can get very specific with you on fixtures and help you with your design