1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Linmar(Onan) engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sdwally, Sep 19, 2002.

1. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We just recently installed a new Linmar LX790?(New Onan name) on a sweeper. After about 40 some hours the vacuum operated accelerator pump in the carb seems to work overtime and flood the engine when accelerating or put under a slight load.

According to the shop manual - do not repair, replace carb.
    Contacted our dealer and they were not even aware that when you order an Onan engine you are shipped a Linmar. Engines are identical, justs seems to be a new name.

We are assumming at this point that parts are under warranty, but are not actually sure what is causing this problem. Shop manual does not go into detail about any problems with the accelerator pump on carb.
  2. lschultz

lschultz LawnSite Member

When I bought my cud cadet the dealer told me it had a onan engine on it.But after I got to looking at the manual and the engine more it has Linmar on it.I found out the Linmar makes Onan engines.I think thats the way it goes.
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't aware the new Onans had an accelerator pump. I would just do what the manual says. Linmar bought Onan. Still an Onan motor.
  4. lschultz

lschultz LawnSite Member