New Little Wonder Blower Optimax Problems!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by recycledsole, Nov 1, 2013.

1. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

Has anybody seen the new scag blowers? They look like monsters... and appear to be well built.

2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I haven't heard anything about them. I heard Subaru engines are not good.

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Well built to the tune of 200 pounds with the Honda GX390. Thats rough on small inclines. :)

http://www.giant-vac.com/blowers.html

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thy are not new. Same old Giant-Vac, with the out of balanced impeller that eats cranks. They didn't get bought by Briggs, THEN dumped, because of a great following. New paint doesn't help.

5. recycledsole

from MD

thanks for the info, they didn't look great.
    what is the best wb or self propelled blower?
    little wonder or billy goat
    thanks

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't ditch the entire Little Wonder line because they're having problems with the 14 hp Honda engine. If I wanted to buy one I would. Then when I get it home I'd pull the impeller bolt and put some Lock-Tite on it. This bolt coming loose seems to account for the majority of problems.

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, come to think of it, the ones I dealt with ( reply#2 ) were in fact subaru. Had another where the crank seal came out also. Nice, huh?

I would take R.M's advice one step further and pull the impeller and check for balance, if possible, and at the very least swab on some never seez.
    I never owned one,( never will), but if I was gonna lay out that kinda money, I would take the time to do all the above.

8. recycledsole

from MD

The problems are coming from both the engine and the machine at an equal rate. If I keep the machine ill ask the shop to do that

9. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

10. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Littlewonder had a service bulletin about the impeller bolts. I haven't had any broken cranks from them.
    Giant-Vac, different story. But I guess things breaking or cracking is tolerated on heavy duty "commercial" brands like scag (in particular).