New machines from Bobcat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I got my issue of Worksaver magazine and was surpised by several things. The biggest was the 330 Bobcat had finally been released. I was aware that the machine was in testing several years ago and I guess it must be ready for prime time.

The stats
    3300 ROC
    vertical lift
    10'10" dump height
    20.7 GPM aux. flow
    36.7 high flow
    9185 pounds of machine

The ad states that is is physically the same size as a S300 just heavier, the hyd flows are the same. The dump height is one inch more on the 330. The 330 does run a bigger tire than the 300.

The machine looks to spec very close to the CASE 465. I will be waiting for you Bobcat guys to get a demo and gives us a report back. I was curious when Bobcat would offer a more HD machine in the 3K plus weight class. It looks like it is here.

They also released a hyd. coupler option on their excavators. Good idea (taking a page from the Yanmar book). They released a 425 ZTS machine in the 6K weight class. they also released a 335 excavator which is about 1500 pounds lighter than a 337 with a conventional tail.
  2. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Figures, we build up attchments for our 435 and now they have a hyd. coupler.
  3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Why is it that not three days after I leave for school, the bloody magazines always come out! Sheesh. I miss the news again.
  4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

that machine should have a ROC of 3300#, right?
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Same attachments should still be good on either a reg. x-change, or hyd. coupler, right?

ksss, we just got the new 335 a month or so back. It was a real nice upgrade for us from a 1999 331. It didn't come with the hyd coupler, but that's not a big deal. Tell you what, I'd much rather have the coupler on the skid. I will probably look into that as an upgrade. Anyway, the extra size of the 335 is real nice, and we can still tow with a one ton dump and 5 ton trailer. I know a lot of guys here don't like Bobcat, but they've given us some pretty good deals, and our salesman provides excellent service. Their shop leaves A LOT to be desired, but their field service guy is great, and he does 99% of our work when needed.

That 330 sounds like quite a unit. It's much larger than anything we need though.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I have against Bobcat is the crappy X-change system and their hydraulic thumb design. Other than that, they're excellent machines and I'd buy one if the service here was better. The 335 is much needed, the 337 is a big machine for it's specs and the 331 was too far from a 337. Something in the middle seems to fit.
  7. GreenMonster

from NH

Yes, this is a much needed size machine for them. IMHO, every mini manufacturer should have a machine that is just under 10Klbs. Where we are at right now, this is a great fit for us.

Bobcat is all I've ever had, so what's the thumb and x-change issues?
  8. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

do you have any pics of the new 330?
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the new X-Change system still spring loaded like the old ones? That's the only reason I didn't like the old ones, the springs never looked like a good way to go about it. The thumb works, but it's just fat, heavy, and isn't shaped right for the work I do, IMO. But hey, if it works for you, awesome. But, those issues wouldn't stop me from buying a Bobcat excavator. If it really came down to it I'd either deal with thumb and coupler or buy an aftermarket coupler and thumb, nothing to overlook the machine entirely for.
  10. GreenMonster

from NH

they've changed the spring system. It's just one pin that you pop out now, roll out to change the bucket, then roll back in, pop the pin back in. pretty easy, although you do need to keep a hammer in the cab now instead of the special spring tool.

The thumb on the new machine is pretty beefy, but seems to work pretty well, IMO. It's been nice for setting boulders on a wall I'm doing here at home.